Light-O-Rama Forums

Windows 7

redsea300

I have a new machine(desktop) I had built it has Vista Premium. It came with the 7 upgrade. I also bought a laptop to run the show this year. I also has Vista with the upgrade. My question is should I upgrade now or wait till after this season. What is everyone doing.

Hey Don,

I plan NOT to put W7 on my show computer until after the end of the year. It isn't because I think it might fail. Actually from all the testing I have done with applications and from what 3 programming friends at Microsoft tell me, there should not be any issues at all.

The reason for me to wait is simply that there is no benefit to doing it so I'm not going to take the risk of having to fix something at a time when life is going to get real busy with the season and putting up LOR.

From what I can see on a test machine is that LOR works fine. I'm on a 64bit OS version of W7 with that computer. The place where things are likely to go wrong are with drivers that communicate to external equipment like the 485 device. Even so, from what I can see in the registry, LOR is usually a fairly generic widely distributed common driver.

As a side note, I just finished testing software for a company where I wrote most of the application back in 1998 for Windows 98. Interestingly, it ran fine on Windows 2000 without modification when that OS came out, then ran on XP, then again on Vista, and finally it works on W7... all without modification to anything. It's no small program either. It uses over 50 third party DLLs, 75 Windows function calls, etc.

My point is that if a program is done properly, it has a higher probability of being upward compatible. LOR seems very clean to me, so I would be surprised to later hear if there is a problem on W7.

I have a question about moving to W7which is more about the LOR licensing which I will put in a separate thread.