Light-O-Rama Forums

Band wants to pay for rights to display footage?

michael.farney

The band dot dot dot (i guess originated from Chicago) stopped by the other night and asked what i would charge to allow them to video the display and edit it, add their music, and make it look like the song was synced to their music via video editing. They are also asking what I would charge to sync some of their music for video.

And I really didn't have a good response. Obviously, anyone can take free video of the display for personal use. Is there an appropriate charge for their proposed commercial use? I don't want to sound greedy when I talk to them, but at the same time it seems like this might be a good way to finance some new "toys" for the display. Or do I forget it and let them do it for free? What risks do you see for letting a band posting my house all over the internet? If I charge a fee, what do you think is appropriate? Is it smarter to just say no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_Dot_Dot_(band)

Hopefully you have thoughts. I am not sure if this is a good idea or not...

Guest wbottomley

I would touch base with Carson Williams.

Since Bud used his home in a commercial style, he would have more experience in that field.

Try searching for an attorney with that specialty.

I am no lawyer, so realize this is just my personal opinion.

First I would try to come up with a number of hours that it took to secquence the display. Then multiply by a reasonable dollar amount for your hourly wage. This is what your labor is worth for the seq. But do you want to charge for royalities for each showing? Then one must consider is this a up and coming band or one well established? Meaning do they have a large expense account or are they just got a few bucks laying around. If you give it to them free, and you enjoy their music, maybe barter for tickets, back stage parties or what ever.

If you are looking for payment, I would get a lawyer to help you draw up a contract, esp if you are going to look to get paid royalites.

Good luck with your future work with this band.

Dot Dot Dot was a on the reality show Next Great American Band. They were not bad but definitely had an over the top front man.

Unless this is a business for you, I would not put too much thought or legal expense into this. Dot Dot Dot is a cover band that plays local gigs. I doubt they have Bud money. I doubt we will see another Carson type hype over light sequencing. It's been done and people got their t shirts.

I think Dot Dot Dot will find that trying to edit a video of you display to fit a song would be incredibly difficult. Having you do custom sequences would be the way to go. The question of what to charge is tough. What is your time worth? Do you have time? I would think it would be fun. Make sure you get copies of whatever they produce.

iresq wrote:

Dot Dot Dot was a on the reality show Next Great American Band. They were not bad but definitely had an over the top front man.

Unless this is a business for you, I would not put too much thought or legal expense into this. Dot Dot Dot is a cover band that plays local gigs. I doubt they have Bud money. I doubt we will see another Carson type hype over light sequencing. It's been done and people got their t shirts.

I think Dot Dot Dot will find that trying to edit a video of you display to fit a song would be incredibly difficult. Having you do custom sequences would be the way to go. The question of what to charge is tough. What is your time worth? Do you have time? I would think it would be fun. Make sure you get copies of whatever they produce.

I am with you on this. They don't have the bankroll to support anything major. I believe this was just a "hey that would be cool" kind of idea for them. They are taking a large amount of time off Dec - Jan to work on some new music, and they thought it might be fun if my display had some of their songs for their fans to come see since they will have no shows.

This is not going to be used in a commercial or anything like that. I think they just want to post a youtube video or something. I also expressed concern trying to edit video to make it look sequenced. The only way to do that is stop frame....

Well, from what you just posted. Then go to plan "B" and at least barter with them for some free tickets or back stage parties with them.. I dont think that it should be free, and it would be good of them to make a small show of thanks. I mean this is to still promote the band. Which can only help them.

Here's his latest email after I asked for a better explanation:

i hadn't thought about doing a full stop motion video, but now that you mention it, that might be cool as well...i was thinking more of highlighting key accents in a song with lighting prompts...there would be lighting changes and effects going on not synched, and then where there were focal lyric accents or cymbal crashes having lights sync up...wouldn't be stop motion, but more in and out of sync as the song went along...i just wanted to show off your cool lighting effects and think it kinda 'syncs' itself to a certain degree...

Max-Paul wrote:

Well, from what you just posted. Then go to plan "B" and at least barter with them for some free tickets or back stage parties with them.. I dont think that it should be free, and it would be good of them to make a small show of thanks. I mean this is to still promote the band. Which can only help them.

I'll wait and see if there are any more comments, but I think that sums it up pretty well. I will probably just end up letting them do it.