Light-O-Rama Forums

Copy Channels to new tracks

Jeff F

This is my first try at using tracks with existing completed sequences. I created a new track called mini trees. I copied the mini tree channels to the new track. Is it better to remove the channel sequence settings from the main track or just leave it?

Jeff F wrote:

This is my first try at using tracks with existing completed sequences. I created a new track called mini trees. I copied the mini tree channels to the new track. Is it better to remove the channel sequence settings from the main track or just leave it?

Either way, makes no difference, just your preference.

I personally try to leave every channel in the first track, and never move them around in that first track. I think that will help produce more consistent results with exporting and importing channel layouts. But other than that, I can think of no reason it would matter one way or the other.

I'm not sure if I'm asking this correctly.

I'm taking a completed sequence that I used last year and creating a track called mini trees. I copied the mini trees sequenced information and put that into the new track called mini trees. So now the main track and the mini tree track have the same sequenced information. (lights on or off, ect)

Should I clear the sequenced information for the mini trees from the main track because it is now duplicated in the mini tree track?

Thanks for your help!

You asked it correctly. It's up to you. Whatever change you make to the duplicated channel will be reflected in the other track.

I do as Klb. I leave my main track with all my elements. If I want to work on an eliment by itself, I will sometimes create a new track to do so. However, I always leave the main track intact. I do this to have consistancy between my sequences. It makes it easier to use configurations.

The one think I should ask, is how you created the channels in the new track. The correct way is to use the right click, "Copy to other track" command, or other way to get that command. You do not want to create a new channel in the other track, and copy the effects and channel config in. The two approaches result in completely different behaviors.

The first one results in only one instance of the channel data in the save file, and instructions that it is to be displayed in both tracks. Thus changes made in one track for this channel appear in the other track.

The second one results in two separate channels in the data file, so updates to one do not appear in the other. Worse, when played, both tracks will get sent to the controllers, with unpredictable results.

As for export/import, it is not just for new sequences. If I have added channels beyond last years show, it would be nice to only add their config once, and be able to export that in a way that can be imported into the other sequences without extra effort. Keeping track one completely identical increases the odds of being able to do that. Or, on our park show, which is going from about 600 channels to 750 channels this year, we will go into set up with one idea of the channel layout. But inevitably, as we put things together on the fire house, some channels will get moved from controller to controller, as the cable runs make more sense. There it is extremely important that we be able to export the updated channel config, and import it into rest of the sequences.