Light-O-Rama Forums

Multiple musical sequences at once

thebaronn

Hello!

I was wondering if there was a way to play 2 musical sequences at the same time during your show? I know you can create and animation and have it run at the same time as your musical sequences.

I have 2 pirate ships that are going to do battle. I though it would be cool if they battled during songs (and I didnt want to add the dialog to the music track, which I am thinking is just what I have to do, ugh)

Eric

You'll have to use 2 computers. One will be the "master" computer, and one will be the "pirate" computer. They will be networked so that the LOR folder can be shared from the pirate computer to the master computer.

The pirate computer will have it's speakers at the pirate ships.

You will have 2 LOR networks: The main network and the pirate network. The pirate network will be connected to controllers that are connected to lights on the ships.

The pirate computer will be connected to the pirate network, and the master computer will be connected to both networks.

The reason for having two networks is that while it's not recommended to have two RS485 masters on one network, it would probably work, as long as only one is sending commands at a time. Yes, when the pirate computer is running the pirate show, the master computer would still be sending heartbeat commands on the network, but these are infrequent enough that it probably would still work.

Your "master" computer would run the main show. It could control the pirate computer with batch files that rename the weeksched.lsc file from the shared LOR folder on the pirate computer. When the master computer wants to stop the pirate show so that it can control all the lights, it will run a batch file that would create a null weeksched.lsc file on the priate computer. The pirate computer would then finish its show, and the master computer would take over. If there was a small period of time when both computers were sending commands on the pirate network, it would probably still look ok.

If you don't need the master computer to control the pirate ship's lights at all, then it gets simpler.

2 computers??? Oi!!!

Guess I will then go with the other option and add the pirate fights to the songs via audacity. Since I have to sequence them anyway that will be cheaper. My wife may kill me if I buy yet another computer!!
Ty sir!!

The other option is 2 virtual computers using vmware. It's cheaper (free), but I don't know if anyone has tested it. In this setup, you would still need two LOR networks.

Wouldn't using a computer AND a director card on the same network work also?

The computer runs the show. The director card with it's triggered inputs would run the pirate ship?

The computer and the director on the same network would still be two systems both believing they are the master of the network. It is likely prone to issues. I believe the original question was how to make this simpler than mixing the vocals in to the existing audio tracks. I've yet to see a simpler solution.

If the question is really more of how to have the pirate show run out of sync from rest of the show, and not share any elements between the two, one could run two networks. One network with everything not in the pirate show, probably running from the PC, and a second network operated by a mini director, or some such. But now you need an audio mixer to combine the audio before you send it to the transmitter.

This is interesting. I've never considered the "one musical sequence at a time" thing to be a limitation, but I can see how it might be useful in cases like this. I wonder if this is something that could be changed in a future release of S2, or if Windows Media Player restrictions prevent it?

-klb- wrote:

The computer and the director on the same network would still be two systems both believing they are the master of the network. It is likely prone to issues. I believe the original question was how to make this simpler than mixing the vocals in to the existing audio tracks. I've yet to see a simpler solution.

If the question is really more of how to have the pirate show run out of sync from rest of the show, and not share any elements between the two, one could run two networks. One network with everything not in the pirate show, probably running from the PC, and a second network operated by a mini director, or some such. But now you need an audio mixer to combine the audio before you send it to the transmitter.

That statement alone wins the arguement. I was hoping there was a way to have S2 run it simultaneously, afterall only difference between background animation and a musical sequence is music!

I need my mixer for halloween night, i cant lose an input for my pirate ship madness!

Besides, audacity looks like it is still the easiest way.