Light-O-Rama Forums

Feature Request: Verifier to check on/off only channels

Steven

I requested this feature for the sequence editor before, but it now makes sense to put it in the verifier.

Channels that control motors, relays, transformers, retrofit LEDs, or strobes must never be dimmed or shimmered, or the device being controlled can be damaged. (I burned a transformer by dimming it.)

It would be nice to be able to tell the Verifier to check that certain channels should never be dimmed. I'm thinking the best place to do this is in the "Channel Settings" dialog. A checkbox could added labeled "on/off only".

This could go in the LMS and LCC files with a tag like this:

If an intensity other that 0 or 100, a dim, or a shimmer event used this channel, a warning would show in the verifier.

Would anyone else find this feature useful?

Steven wrote:

I requested this feature for the sequence editor before, but it now makes sense to put it in the verifier.

Channels that control motors, relays, transformers, retrofit LEDs, or strobes must never be dimmed or shimmered, or the device being controlled can be damaged. (I burned a transformer by dimming it.)

It would be nice to be able to tell the Verifier to check that certain channels should never be dimmed. I'm thinking the best place to do this is in the "Channel Settings" dialog. A checkbox could added labeled "on/off only".

This could go in the LMS and LCC files with a tag like this:

If an intensity other that 0 or 100, a dim, or a shimmer event used this channel, a warning would show in the verifier.

Would anyone else find this feature useful?

I'll see that feature and raise you a few features. That is definately needed. I might see a different name like. intensitylevels="2" or for other needs "101" or "256"

The channel should also have

• Comments in addition to the channel name. (three blue 100 minis over there)
  • Current draw at 100%
  • Home circuit breaker (calc draw on channel/controller/circuit breaker/panel/total)
  • Intensity translation. (Account for light style brightness outside of sequence)

Is there a list of features being considered somewhere?
(Out of work programmer needs a job! Hint Hint :cool: )

I've wanted this in the sequence editor since like 1.0 :D What I envisioned was in the channel setup, a checkbox saying "never fade this channel" or some such. Then the user could add any fades or intensities they liked, but when playing the lights, the software would convert them to discrete binary values.

This solves the problem, for example, that someone on PC recently posted - they did their sequencing thinking they were using standard lights, but ended up using non-dimmable C9's for some channels. Now they have to rework their sequences. With a checkbox as I described above, they'd just have to change their channel config.

Now another question -- what's the "Verifier"? I'm still coming up to speed on some of the more recent S2 changes...

Tim Fischer wrote:

Now another question -- what's the "Verifier"? I'm still coming up to speed on some of the more recent S2 changes...

From the LOR Help file:

The Light-O-Rama Verifier can be used to check for certain types of problems with the way that Light-O-Rama is configured on your machine, and with your schedule, shows, and sequences.

To use the Verifier, simply click its "Verify" button. As it is checking for issues, it will display what it is doing in its "Output Log" tab; when it is complete, it will switch to its "Results" tab, showing a list of the issues that it has found:

In ver 2.5.0, it's the 5th item when right clicking the LOR icon in the tool tray. (Guess I need to upgrade to 2.5.2 tonight also)

Jeff Millard wrote:

but please don't forget to also send them to wishlist@lightorama.com so they can be summed up and considered by the programmers.

I have just emailed my request for this feature to that address.

Please, for everyone who reads this, if you would like that feature, please also send an email.

The life of your strobe may depend on it! :D