Light-O-Rama Forums

Removing/transferring a license from a computer

hobbes

Is there a provision to remove or transfer a license from a computer and regain that 'seat' for use on another computer? The reason I am asking is that the computer I use to run my show is rather old (1GHz cpu with 256Meg ram) and I am thinking about upgrading it. If I install one of my seats on that computer but later do not want to use it to run my show can I transfer that seat to another computer?

thanks,

tom.

Don't think you can transfer, but have no worries about not having enough licenses. All you need to do is contact LOr with an email, explain you used all you licenses, and they can quickly issue you another being that you are behind the same IP. There have been many post on hear with similar questions, and nobody has had any problems. Most are taken care of in minutes.

I was thinking about asking something similar. I installed LOR on a new PC a month ago. Now I have a replacement because Dell couldn't resolve the issue. That makes one unused license. It could even be two lost licenses since Dell replaced the motherboard before they gave up (not sure what exactly the license is tied to).

I think it would be nice to be able to de-activate your own licenses somehow. I don't feel like bothering LOR every time I don't need a license. But, I'd rather not be caught without an available license if my show PC goes down on a Saturday night.

This is a common issue in software licensing. The basic problem with the "deactivate" idea is that it would be easy for a software pirate to activate a license, do a backup on his computer, deactivate the license, and then restore from backup. Then, he can repeat the same procedure on any number of computers.

I understand the whole reason for the licensing. It is to prevent someone from posting an "Advanced" copy for download somewhere, which is what happens without licensing.

Even with a perfectly operating license system, there will be tradeoffs. The ultimate goal is to satisfy every customer, while preventing piracy. In doing this, you have to remember that the pirates will use any loophole in the licensing scheme. So you have to separate the customers from the pirates. The only reliable way to do this is by using humans. The 5-computer limit is a reasonable compromise. If it were more, then people would tend to "share" more. If it were less, then LOR customer support would get more calls for additional licenses.

For most users, the best action is just to register the software on all machines that you use. If you run out of registrations, simply contact LOR for another one. If you ask, perhaps they'll give you more than one.

I'm just posting to add another vote for a "deactivate" option.

The software I develop has a similar licensing scheme. Initially we didn't have a "deactivate" option and it became a burden on customer service (as well as our customers) We added one fairly soon after rolling out the licensing.

There might be some power-haxx0rs that get around the licensing somehow, but that's pretty much guaranteed. Licensing is basically to keep honest people honest, and make it a PITA for dishonest people to be dishonest. You don't want to inconvenience your customers too much...

-Tim

I hate to duplicate-post, but there is a thread in the Sequences forum also about licensing.

My company, which sells a software product, came up with this solution: We have an option to install and license our software onto a USB flash drive. Each USB drive has a unique serial number, which our licensing system uses. We have had no complaints about this option.

If LOR did something like that, you could take your thumb drive to any computer and edit your sequences there.

If LOR wants to talk to me about implementing this, I would be willing to share.

Steven wrote:

My company, which sells a software product, came up with this solution: We have an option to install and license our software onto a USB flash drive. Each USB drive has a unique serial number, which our licensing system uses. We have had no complaints about this option.

I was thinking of something similar, but didn't want to mention it (dongle). I don't really want something hanging off my notebook all the time. But there are certain conveniences to this method.

The issue with the internet phone home option is the people running PC based shows from computers without internet access. For example the show we run in the city park.

Steven wrote:

I hate to duplicate-post, but there is a thread in the Sequences forum also about licensing.

If LOR did something like that, you could take your thumb drive to any computer and edit your sequences there.

If LOR wants to talk to me about implementing this, I would be willing to share.

I use a LOT of software this way - we call it Dongle based licensing - works well for VERY expensive software.

Harrison

rwertz wrote:

I was thinking of something similar, but didn't want to mention it (dongle). I don't really want something hanging off my notebook all the time. But there are certain conveniences to this method.

A dongle is so 1980's! :D

My company's solution uses the customer's USB drive, so we don't have to ship anything and the customer doesn't have to plug anything into his computer that he wasn't already using.

And, it's just one option. If they prefer to install and license it to the computer itself, as most customers do, no USB drive is needed. On the other hand, if they choose the USB drive version, nothing needs to be installed on the computer.

And the software in question sells for about the same price as the LOR Advanced version.