Light-O-Rama Forums

Lines and Shapes

Cabbage

Is there an easy way to draw lines or shapes. My grid is very tight and it is extremely difficult to stay within the lines if I want it to be straight, and diagonal lines are horribly difficult.

Am I missing a function or do we just have to live with free hand (mouse) drawing here.

For Better or worse, Your kinda stuck with it...

I draw very limited shapes. I use mostly small lines and boxes for most items.

You do not need to get very fancy, you only need to have an idea of what is going to happen, not an exact duplicate.

If you are looking for a better representation, you can purchase "Holiday Lights Designer" which does intereact with LOR. It gives you much more funtionalilty.

If you want to see what i use let me know I will send you my config for 192 LOR channels, and @50 DMX channels.

Scott.

Suggestion: I have had more satisfying results by drawing on top of a background picture of the house.

For straight lines, what I did was use photoshop and its line tools to draw the lines onto a copy of the background pic. Then import that pic and trace them in LOR. Lastly replace the background pic with the version having no lines.

• 9 months later...

Cabbage wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
Cabbage,

Are you aware that while drawing, the right mouse button erases?

NO! That will save a ton of time thanks!

So here I am almost a year latter and just got another 16 channels. Having to re-draw my visualizer. Going back through this thread and totally forgot about the right Mouse Button earse.

Thanks again George!

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Suggestion: I have had more satisfying results by drawing on top of a background picture of the house.

For straight lines, what I did was use photoshop and its line tools to draw the lines onto a copy of the background pic. Then import that pic and trace them in LOR. Lastly replace the background pic with the version having no lines.

Excellent idea Bob!!!

Will have to try that!

Cabbage wrote:

I might try to zoom in. The problem is my resolution is so large it makes the grid box very small and it difficult to staywithin the line of boxes. I end up all over the place.

1st thing we were taught in kindergarten - "stay within the lines" ;)

I know this might take some trial and error to get it right, but have you tried to place a ruler or straight edge against the side of your mouse. Then simply move the mouse along the edge to get your straight lines? If you don't get the angle quite right, simply right click and move back along the line to erase. then just adjust until you get it right.

Victory402 wrote:

I never knew the right mouse button erased, Great tip...thank you George.

Sure seems to be a lot of "Tips and Tricks" out there that are unknown.

Does anyone have or know where to find a listing of "Tips And Tricks"?

jimswinder wrote:

Victory402 wrote:
I never knew the right mouse button erased, Great tip...thank you George.

Sure seems to be a lot of "Tips and Tricks" out there that are unknown.

Does anyone have or know where to find a listing of "Tips And Tricks"?

I found this from 2008 on the forum.......... Key Board stuff.

Not sure where to find tricks like George told us about.

I am sure someone has something printed up.

LORkbscts.jpg

Attachment: LORkeyboardshortcuts.pdf (Downloaded 177 times)

Note some of the changes in the keys with the 2.8 version of the sequence editor (from Help within the sequence editor under "Editing Sequences Using the Keyboard"). Most notably "F" is now Fill instead of Off, and now Off is "Del".

http://lightorama.com/help/index.html?editing_sequences_using_the_ke.htm

Attached files 208902=11621-keyboard shortcuts for LOR.

Dan C wrote:

I know this might take some trial and error to get it right, but have you tried to place a ruler or straight edge against the side of your mouse. Then simply move the mouse along the edge to get your straight lines? If you don't get the angle quite right, simply right click and move back along the line to erase. then just adjust until you get it right.

What if you use a laptop? My Thinkpad has a TrackStick, no mouse.. Drawing lines always looks like I spent the day mainlining espresso..