Light-O-Rama Forums

2.4.10 Weird Lockup (sort of) Issue

DavBro

Using S2 2.4.10 on x64 Windows 7 RTM. Works great except once in a while the timing grid locks up. When this happens, I am able to save (very grateful for that), use any other menu option (that does not involve the timing grid), and even exit the program gracefully. I can restart and all is fine again.

The timing grid simply becomes unresponsive. Can't click in it, can't scroll it. Since it is not a complete lockup of the software, I am certain this is not some random crash. Yesterday it happened 4 or 5 times.

Anyone else seen this one? LOR, can I provide you with a crash dump or some other diagnostic info?

Dave

So you can use the menus (like "File") and such, but the sequence itself is completely unresponsive?

Is there anything in particular that you do before it happens, or does it seem to be random?

The next time it happens, could you please do a little experimentation (after saving)?

For example, can you open another sequence (while leaving the frozen one open)? If so, can, you work on that sequence?

Or how about if you close the frozen one, then try to open another? Or even close it and then try to open that same one again?

What happens if you just let the frozen one stay frozen for quite some time? Like (if it's feasible to do so) maybe even go have dinner, or go to sleep, or whatever, leaving the frozen sequence open? When you come back, is it still frozen?

Thanks.

I'll try all of those things next time. Wife says it happened twice today.

I have waited up to 5 minutes for the grid to come back to life. It never reports 'not responding' in Task Manager, so I know it is responding to window messages.

This thing is massively multi-threaded (did I really count 16 threads?!?) so it wouldn't surprise me if there was some blocking going on somewhere. I will look for that too.

DavBro

hi..

not sure if this is related or a seperate issue, but I just upgraded, and the tapper wizard has frozen about 10 times now....nothing responds, can't save, nothing, I have to close out and try to start over; that said, I got it to respond twice, but taps do not register...

DavBro wrote:

Using S2 2.4.10 on x64 Windows 7 RTM. Works great except once in a while the timing grid locks up. When this happens, I am able to save (very grateful for that), use any other menu option (that does not involve the timing grid), and even exit the program gracefully. I can restart and all is fine again.

The timing grid simply becomes unresponsive. Can't click in it, can't scroll it. Since it is not a complete lockup of the software, I am certain this is not some random crash. Yesterday it happened 4 or 5 times.

Anyone else seen this one? LOR, can I provide you with a crash dump or some other diagnostic info?

Dave

That sounds exactly what is happening here as well, except I am using Vista Ultimate.

Tim

OK, staring at a failure now. It is not on my computer though, it is on my wife's (XP Service Pack 3) so I don't have Process Explorer loaded to look around. I did try your experiments though as follows:

So you can use the menus (like "File") and such, but the sequence itself is completely unresponsive? Correct. Everything outside of the timing grid works fine.

Is there anything in particular that you do before it happens, or does it seem to be random? She was simply navigating around in the timing grid.

For example, can you open another sequence (while leaving the frozen one open)? If so, can, you work on that sequence? We were able to open another sequence and play it, move around in it, whatever.

Or how about if you close the frozen one, then try to open another? Or even close it and then try to open that same one again? We were able to close and re-open the same one, and it worked again (for a short time, then it failed again. Seems pretty repeatable on her computer.

What happens if you just let the frozen one stay frozen for quite some time? Like (if it's feasible to do so) maybe even go have dinner, or go to sleep, or whatever, leaving the frozen sequence open? When you come back, is it still frozen? We waited up to 15 minutes and it never came back.

She has a lot less patience for testing this, but it seems pretty consistent and easy to recover from. I am quite surprised that the grid lockup does not impact other areas of the program, and that the frozen sequence can still be gracefully closed and re-opened.

Ideas?

Dave

By the way, we just discovered, you can even play the sequence when the timing grid for that sequence is locked up. After it is done playing (or when you hit stop), the timing grid continues to be unresponsive.

Dave