Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR software upgrade and license key issues

clenaghen

Kind of a confusing message to follow, so bear with me...

Last year about this time I purchased my first LOR controller/starter package. The LOR software that came with it was version 1.5.0, and I soon upgraded the software to LOR II. Everything worked fine through the holidays.

So, here I am a year later. I decided this year to put together a halloween show since I was somewhat a seasoned LOR vetran (yeah....) and I fired up the LOR software and the software immediately displayed a demo screen. I dont remember ever having an issue last year, so not sure why it is now saying that I am using a demo version. The version that I had on my computer was 2.1.6.

I uninstalled everything, then installed the version that came with my starter package, tried to upgrade it to LOR II and still get a demo notice (actually tried 2.0.16 first because I know I had upgraded to that version at some point last year, but it wont run at all now). The install of the version that came with my package does not ask for any kind of registration information during the install process, and when I try to upgrade it to version 2, the install process says it has validated my license, but when I try to run it after install, I get a demo notice.

So, any ideas as to what is going on? I think I have an idea in that the version of the updates I used were time limited betas (I read that version 2.0.14 upgrade expired in June of 2008). I do not have any registration information for my original version that came with my package; it just installs and runs. It looks like per the LOR website that I should have one or have had one sent to me. Dont remember ever having to register to get my code.

I'll be emailing LOR to find out about my registration code, or whether I even have one. But, thought I would check the experts here in the mean time.

Go here:

http://www.lightorama.com/SoftwareDownloadPage.html

Click on the retrieve license button. You will get a free item in your Yahoo cart to check out. You must use the email address that you used when you first purchased the software. You will get the license key back by email.

If you do not have access to that email account, contact LOR support with as much detail about your purchase as possible, and you will get instructions on how to go forward from there.

Try downloading the latest version. On the software download page, you will see a button on the right labeled 'Retrieve License'. Click it. You will be asked for your email address. Do this step first as it takes a couple of minutes. Then click on the 'Download' button to get the latest and greatest version available 2.4.10.

This should take care of your problem. You were trying to use the "demo" version of S2 that was unlocked while Dan and crew got the licensing issues ironed out.

http://store.lightorama.com/software1.html

All the versions you mentioned in your post have expired. When LORII or S2 was released there were software timers that caused the software to expire, usually about 6 months, until the license scheme was put in place July 1 or about then.

As was stated in KLB post go to that link and get your license and also to download 2.4.10.

Chuck

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I just noticed that if I change the date on my PC back to last year, the software runs.

I have tried to use the 'Retrieve Key' link using my email address, but it looks like I may have never registered my original software (the version 1.5.0). Like I mentioned, the original software never required me to register, so I never received a registration key. Does that mean that it is the basic free version of the sequencing software?

I have sent an email to LOR, so I'll get it straigtened out. Thanks for the feedback. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something painfully obvious.

This is the first year that registration has been needed. The previous versions had no way to register. If it did not find you, then you did not use an email address associated with your original purchase of the software.

IF the system did not find you....it could have been an entry error at LOR. This happened to me in July. I originally purchase in 2005, my email had not changed and yet the system did not find my license things.

Good thing! LOR does keep records of everyone that purchases the software.

Chuck

cmoore60 wrote:

IF the system did not find you....it could have been an entry error at LOR. This happened to me in July. I originally purchase in 2005, my email had not changed and yet the system did not find my license things.

Good thing! LOR does keep records of everyone that purchases the software.

Chuck

I also had the same problem retrieving my key, but Bob and Dan were able to straighten it out through their records.