Light-O-Rama Forums

C9 Strobe Light

Christopher2113

I recently bought some c9 strobe lights from Darryl at christmaslightshow.com and used 20 of the 200 i bought in a halloween display and well we had some rain and i noticed some didn't work and had some water in them. What do i do to keep the water out? can i save the couple that quit working if i dry the water out or something? i want to save as many as possible from the water its like flushing $7 down the toilet when they quite working after one day use. i am open for suggestions.

thanks to all

christopher

I would say burn some weep holes in them, I made the same mistake last year and lost 10 after a few days. I took them apart if the electronics aren't damaged chances are the bulbs are ruined. I found replacement bulbs online bu the cost 6 bucks each, I figured much easier to just order new ones. It was an expensive mistake I won't do again.

The strobe tubes aren't the only things that can fail, especially when wet. You may be able to get some ideas of what has failed by looking for visible signs of damage on components.

On the strobe tubes, look for any cracks, especially around the ends.

On the other components, look for any places where the magic smoke may have escaped. There is enough energy in these when ready to fire to blow holes in the plastic cases. Some people have had some luck just doing visual inspections and swapping components between dead strobes.

However, there can also be enough energy stored in one of these that has been off for a fair while (days even) to kill several people. Unless you know how to safely discharge the capacitors, and not wind up getting zapped with the trigger coil, it is best to stay away...

How was your strobe orintated? Where they set so that they where pointing up, down or pointing slightly down from parrallel to the ground?

I have 6 units myself and 2 are inside a tall skinny container with no lid parrallel to the ground (think of two machine gun barrels for snoopy's christmas). The other 4 will be in the yard set to point straight up. I dont think that they will get water in them like this, but would like to hear from those who have had water get into their strobes.

Thanks

klb,

have you replaced dead tubes with those? they are definetly cheaper than the ones I found I may try to resurect some of the dead ones I have.

Max,

I believe the instruction state to orient the weep hole so that it is down.

The units are not completely sealed. The rapid heating of the air inside the lens cause the air to draw humidity, then as it cools the moisture is formed. This needs to be let out, otherwise it will rest on the board and short things out.

This is what I can surmize from reading the thread about these strobe for nearly 4 years. I have 36 that are yet to be put out. Simply have not determined how I want to use them.

Chuck

when i placed my strobes they were hung every which direction and i believe that water leaked in around the c9 screw in part on the base

i took them apart last night for them to dry i hope they might still work

i am going shopping today for some silicone conformal coating for the boards and rubber electrical tape for around the c9 part of the bulb to the base of the light and silicone caulk for the srews that hold the cover and the base together

No, I have not. That is a link that I saved off a discussion somewhere, probably on PC a long time ago. I believe the person who posted the link indicated good luck with them, but my memory could easily be wrong...

I guess I was lucky last year. I had 12 units that went through rain. Some actually accumulated water inside the case, but they all kept working. I'm going to drill drip holes this year.

Christopher2113 wrote:

magic smoke?

Magic smoke is what makes electronic components work. It is sealed inside the components, but if it escapes, the components stop working. ;)

wow cool thanks

hey good news after they dried out over night i tried them and they worked ;)

now i just need to order some Fine-L-Kote SR Conformal Coating 2102 for tech spray to spray on the light boards to help make them more water resistant and drill tiny vent holes in the side that will be facing down to release moisture

You know, looking at my strobes. The lens look fairly well sealed to the base. How in hecks name are you all getting your lens off so that you can replace the strobe tube and putting on a coating to the board?

How well they are sealed seems to vary a bit. There should be two dabs of sealant on the base. Dig that out and remove 2 Phillips screws. After that, it should not take much rocking to break the lens free.

One of the weak spots on most of them is the C9 base to the body. A thin bead of sealant there should help keep them drier if you elect to run without weep holes.