Light-O-Rama Forums

swithing between Vista and XP

Panteradon

I have two machines I work on. One is running XP and the other is running Vista.

The XP machine ismy main work machine and the files are located at:

C:Documents and SettingsDon.SUPERCOMPUTER.000My DocumentsLight-O-Rama

Is there a way to move my sequences back and forth between these machines andnot have to reload the attach the music and the annimation picture every time I move from XP to vista?

Don

Probably the easiest way to do this is to use the LORPost.exe utility (in your main LOR program directory) to change the default location of the files.

Make them the same location on each machine, and you shouldn't encounter the issue any longer.

I use three computers between everything, I found the easiest thing I did was make two folders on each Desktop, one for music, the other for Sequences. Copy all your music files into each desktop. Make sure you call them the same, than have LOR always pull from the Desktop.

Panteradon wrote:

The XP machine ismy main work machine and the files are located at:

C:Documents and SettingsDon.SUPERCOMPUTER.000My DocumentsLight-O-Rama

Don

Your problem is that your documents or desktop folders are going to be in different locations on the 2 pc's. One will be under c:documents... and the other under c:users... etc.

I created a folder off the root drive. C:LOR and then had a sequences and music directory below that. That way on all of my machines, they are all under C:LOR and the program doesn't have any trouble finding them. Then some sync software to keep them all up to date and you're off and running. (I recommend Allwaysync).

J.

Jeremy Wiles wrote:

Your problem is that your documents or desktop folders are going to be in different locations on the 2 pc's. One will be under c:documents... and the other under c:users... etc.

I created a folder off the root drive. C:LOR and then had a sequences and music directory below that. That way on all of my machines, they are all under C:LOR and the program doesn't have any trouble finding them. Then some sync software to keep them all up to date and you're off and running. (I recommend Allwaysync).

Jeremy, good points. You hit the nail on the head with the biggest issue. I remember when I first set up my main work computere to use Vista, I had the issue of the directory structure being different from the work computer to the LOR computer that I want to always keep running XP.

I'm wondering if the newer version of LOR fixes this problem though? Perhaps LOR can comment on this. I am doing something similar to you. I keep my LOR files under "..DocumentsLOR" and I have subfolders under it called "audio" and "sequences" on the Vista computer. When I copy my "audio" and "sequences" sub-folder to my show computer (running XP), it works fine. Maybe LOR is now using relative paths to access the files?

I like the AllwaysSync idea. I was not aware of that software. As you are familiar with it, I have a question. I actually don't want to automatically sync my show files to the Vista development computer because I don't want to run the risk of screwing up show files while I'm editing or creating new ones. I assume there is something like a one button "Sync it now" one time kind of sync to do things manually? I currently copy my files by just dragging and dropping them in the Windows explorer from the local folder to the remote show computer folder.

When a sequence is saved, it includes the name of the "media" (audio) file. If the audio file is located in the default audio directory (the one you specified when you installed LOR or ran LORpost.exe) then it doesn't store the full path, but just the file name. If this is the case, you can simply copy the Sequences and Audio directories to the default directories in a new computer and it will find the audio files just fine.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work this way for the background image in the animation window. The sequence editor seems to always put the full path to the image file in the sequence file.

Another problem with moving from one computer to another is the show editor. The show editor always stores the complete path to the sequences.

At one point I was editing the show files I created on one computer to substitute the path to the sequences on the show computer.

This year, I just gave up on that and put everything in C:Light-O-Rama. Since I'm running as a non-admin user on the show machine, I had to temporarily use the Admin account to allow the non-admin user to create directories in C: first. From then on, it was easier.