Light-O-Rama Forums

Fm Broadcaster (I need one...which one?)

texasjanedoe

Have you tried contacting EDM? They may have some information as well. Keep us posted I am curious how things work out for you. I hope it all goes well.

I would also check cables and power connections and if there are any noise generating sources that could be effecting your EDM. Check the circuit that your power is plugged into. Is there any sources that could be putting noise out effecting your radio.

Try plugging the radio into another audio source and see if it makes a difference on the clarity like using an MP3 player. If you have a MP3 player try using the radio in different locations and see what effect that has as well.

Keep us posted on your efforts. This same issue could effect any brand FM radio regardless of the brand.

My "static" is more like a low frequency hum. I have unsuccessfully tried the following:

1. Use a new wall bump power supply
2. Connect directly to a battery to isolate if the hum is from power. I opened a UPS unit I used for my computer equipment to run this test.
3. Ran a common ground between all equipment.
4. Connected different sound sources including a battery powered CD player. I was curious if other equipment was generating noise on the power line.
5. I run my PC audio out through a mixer. When I listen to the sound coming out of the mixer with a high quality studio headset (flat response) there is NO noise on the audio signal.
6. I also tested with no PC in the room.
7. Disconnected all sound sources. Like Lee, even with nothing attached, the sound is there. Which leads me to believe the problem is in the EDM unit.
8. Disassembled the EDM. Oddly, I find that if I pull the LCD board away from the main PCB board the hum diminishes significantly. The wire cable that runs to the LCD when pulled away from the board makes a difference. But that's not going to fit in the case that way!
9. Contacted EDM who made several suggestions and then sent me a new unit.
10. Turned down the audio level and changed antennas. This helped.

I believe everyone who says this is a great unit. But I can't make mine behave that way. I'm really curious as to what is wrong at my house.

I dont know what kinda of budget you have, but I use the Ramsey. I can solder, but due to my time I bought a presoldered / tested unit on ebay for around $100. Works great.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the Whole House Transmitter direct from their website. I was a little nervous about it when it arrived as it was very lightweight and the cords very thin. The cords come in those retractable wheel devices and it seems to always get caught up on retracting for me. I hooked it up tonight for the first time and found that the only channel I could use was 106.9 (it seems that all the others were covered mostly by Mexican stations here in L.A.).

The reception was TERRIBLE. I put the unit and antenna as high up as I could get it with a clear line to my whole front yard (I'm on a corner). I drove my car around and the sound was very static-y and would break up as I drove around the corner with complete fallouts in some areas. I'm going to return it.

I purchased a Ramsey 30 on ebay. I hope it works better.

I bought one of the whole house transmitters from LOR and it works great for me!
I can get a clear signal about 1/2 mile away...
More than enough for me! If you cant see the lights then you dont need to hear the music.

• 3 months later...

I should have replied back sooner, my bad.
Someone on the forum passed my email on to EDM and I was contacted by them to see if they could solve my problem. VERY IMPRESSIVE.

I explained the issue and tried what they suggested (noise traps and filters) but no luck. Then they offered to have me send the radio to their agent here in the States.

They requested I only send the radio in. I did and they found no problems sent me MP3 of the test which sounded great. They thought it could have been the power supply, so they sent me another at no charge.

Still had the problem. Then I happened to move the antenna (the little wire one that came with the unit) and WOW, perfect sound. Let go and lost the quality.

Although some folks have said the unit works well with the antenna that comes with the unit mine did not. Took EDM advise for the antenna and its has been working great.

I must say the support I received from EDM was far above what I expected to get. They took a serious interest in resolving the issue and were very timely in email responses.

Sorry, below is the email I received back from EDM.
Also, the antenna kit that Ramsey sells works great.

L

Lee,

Also make sure the ribbon cable at the bottom of the board is not pushed close against the board. This can also introduce strange random noise. Insert a spacer like a piece of cardboard to prevent it from pushing against the board.

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2010 8:36 AM
To: 'Lee Leibecki'
Subject: RE: Notification of payment received

Lee,

The wire “test” antenna is really only good for short distances around the house. Search eBay for external FM transmit antenna’s or some people report using a TV dipole from radio shack (with the 300-75 Ohm balun removed) to work well.

http://www.radiobrandy.com/part15fm.html have more ideas on antenna’s you can make yourself.

http://www.radiobrandy.com/dipole1.html

Regards, EDM Sales

lleibeck wrote:

Also make sure the ribbon cable at the bottom of the board is not pushed close against the board. This can also introduce strange random noise. Insert a spacer like a piece of cardboard to prevent it from pushing against the board.

I was a first time EDM user last year and reported this situation to them. Given the size of the case, it would seem that the ribbon cable will ALWAYS be pushed close against the board. This is a fix I think EDM should implement. I will try it though.

And yesterday I finally bought a 12V switching power supply to replace the supplied power supply. Haven't tested that yet but I have big hopes for the new power source.

A Broadcast Warehouse TX-1 is the next step up but I am very reluctant to spend that kind of money. After all, my audience isn't complaining, just me!