Light-O-Rama Forums

Music formate question

Ralph D

*****hey can any one tell me when playing a song while editing at 1/4 speed, the song will not match up with the beats all the time. is there a reason for that? what can i do to fix this. if it has anything to do with song.(type) either wave or mp3 i think my song is mp3 now that I'M thinking about it does that make a difference when editing? and playing back? the same part over and over.

When people describe the beats not matching up all the time, it usually has to do with mp3's with a variable bit rate. This doesn't happen with WAV files or with mp3s with a constant bit rate.

Another thing to consider, Ralph, is which method of entering timings you are using. If you are using Tapper Wizard, at regular speed, you may be tapping when you hear the "beat" or event. But slow it down and it can seem way off. Has to do with how well the tapper anticipates the true beat. Don't know if this is the case, but its something to look at.

Cray

Run the audio file thru Audacity and save it as a wav file and use that as the media file for your sequence. That should eliminate any problems.

thanks everyone, but the problem is not i tap thing, its a play back problem were the song playing is not playing right at the same time as the sequence does at reg speed when it plays at a slowed down speed. "the music" miss starts or starts behind the point were the sequence starts. here let me give you the exact example. Ok i was updating my channels for wiz of winter, and noticed a small 3 or 4 sec timing i wanted to do something with so i chose play visible screen and play at 1/4 speed. now the strange thing is the song isn't off every time you play it, maybe every other time. but it messes up things enough that when you go back to reg speed you are in trouble, so i thought maybe its because in that played visible screen my sequence is already doing a ton of things and playing it that slow has something to do with the music starting point being thrown off. so i moved the starting point of the visible screen to the left a little more "a few sec's earlier and also shrank the sequence so more time of the sequence was in the screen added about another 10 seconds to the screen and that seemed to do the trick now what i did was i added a lot more time to the play screen and had to sit there and listen to stuff i wasn't working on so i could get to the part i wanted to work on and do it over and over to fix that 3 sec peace. I'm going to try changing the music file from mp3 to Wave if it is not Wave already and see what happens. thanks for all your thoughts.

bob if your here do you have any thoughts on this?

I agree with both George and Brian.

The use of wav files will not cause the skewing on slow speeds and/or play visible screen. What happens is WMP has a difficult time determining where to "jump" in and start playing, point A, point B or point C. With A being early, B being on time or C being late. Whereas when playing the entire piece it has the timing reference to go with.

Try to convert to WAV for sequencing and then you can use mp3 for the show.

Chuck

Wow what great timing. I was having the same thing with Harry Connick's "Blue Christmas". Pretty straight forward, but even the simple bass line didn't line up with the "beat track" after the sax solo. Licks were coming in early, late and everything in between. Ripped my cd with "FreeRip" to mp3. Took Audacity and imported the mp3 back, then went back with wav. Much better.

Thanks,
Robert Burton
Fayetteville,GA