Light-O-Rama Forums

S2 Installation Problem

Tim Fischer

Hi all,

Forgive me if this is a common problem -- I did some searching and can't find any relevant posts.

I'm finally getting around to upgrading my machines to the latest LOR S2, from the version I had from last December. I run the installer, but when I try running the sequence editor, nothing happens (I get a blip, as if a window quickly opens then closes). If I try running one of the other components (e.g. the show editor), I get:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavaliable.

Click OK to try again, yadda yadda.

The path it shows points into my XP user account's temp directory.

Help??

Thanks!

-Tim

P.S. I do have a requested license # in hand, ready to enter, if it ever gets to the point where it prompts me for said info...

Is "yadda, yadda" something about an MSI file?

If so, I would suggest trying the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, as described in the following thread:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=19427&forum_id=72&highlight=msi+windows+cleanup

If not, ummm... I would suggest trying the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility anyway! But, if so, what does "yadda, yadda" actually say?

Wow that was quick!

Yeah, it mentioned a .msi file. I just ran the cleanup utility and am reinstalling now. The install is taking much longer, so hopefully something good is happening :)

I'll report back...

Thanks much,

-Tim

Bob,

Would it be possible to create a post with the info about the windows installer cleanup in a fixed place. As time goes searching does not go back that far.

Maybe a forum for more detail troubleshooting that is primarily locked from other posts with each unique post have a good descriptive title.

Chuck

That's a great idea. Not sure why my search didn't find the relevant threads (probably user error) but I also did check for sticky threads.

But Bob gets huge kudos for responding within 5 minutes! :)

LOR S2 continues to amaze me. I haven't used any new versions since the one we ran the show on last December until yesterday, and there's a ton of new features in there. Timings are going to keep me busy trying to figure out if I like them better than alternate tracks or not, for example :)

-Tim

• 2 weeks later...

just confirming:
1. uninstall LOR
2. Install and run Windows cleaner
3. Reinstall Lor

I'm hoping I missed something, because I thought I did the above and sequence editor still wouldn't open. Could open only 1.6...but that didn't help since sequences under 2.0.

Also tried to download upgrade. Thought it worked, but never got to a point where it asked me for my key

I'll try above again. I thought I was the only one with sequence editor not opening. Scanned boards and didn't find any others having this problem

One piece of advise. Be sure you are not in a windows update cycle while trying to install LOR. That appears to have been the source of one of my install failures. Be sure you can shut down and start up without windows updater trying to install pending updates.

Make sure the LOR installer is saved on your PC, and run it from your PC. If you run the installer from the link, it is possible that your browser will delete the temporary copy of the installer before the installation is complete.

The general way to go is to be sure that both the control panel and windows installer clean up utility believe no copy of LOR is installed. Often just having the control panel believe no copy is installed is enough, but the clean up utility will provide some extra assurance.

Now install just the latest version of S2 from LOR. (from a local saved copy of the file) Don't install 1.x first.

This just happened to me :D

I went from 2.4 to 2.5 on my show computer which is xp

Thought it was because I did not have it hooked up to my network, so after an hr and 150' of cat wire, I discovered this was not it. (but eah, I got Internet now in my garage...)

I did not use the Clean Up utility, but just un installed it, than re installed it. Does this matter? It is working now for now :)

But I also had to use another Lis Key, is this right when this happens?

Thanks

Jeff Millard wrote:

Yep. When you move from .4 to .5 S2 requires that you reactivate. It doesn't use an additional seat as you're registering the same PC...

Not sure about that, I just update another vista machine, and did not ask me for key.

cenote wrote:

I did not use the Clean Up utility, but just un installed it, than re installed it. Does this matter? It is working now for now :D

I would not worry about it. The clean up utility just increases the odds of it completing install, and launching successfully

cenote wrote:
But I also had to use another Lis Key, is this right when this happens?

In theory, this should not use another license key. In practice, there are fairly rare cases where the same computer fails to be identified as the same computer in the licensing scheme, but usually the symptoms from it show up at a time other than an upgrade. You are most likely just fine.