Light-O-Rama Forums

Many thanks from a new addict

ainsworth

Last year I watched several displays and thought "I bet that's a lot of work, but it sure looks great and it looks like fun!" I looked around my area (South Texas) and didn't find any that I could look at live so I downloaded the demo software and played with it a little. BIG MISTAKE :D. 2 weeks later I ordered a starter set and have been working on my first show ever since.

I want to thank all the people that posted ideas and problem solutions on the site. It really helped me through the learning curve. Only once did I have to ask for help from Dan, and his response was fast and very helpful. The members of this board are inventive, creative, and oh so helpful. Thanks to all of you, I now have a great new hobby.

I have not put up 1 Xmas decoration, played 1 song with a live display, and already I'm starting to plan my expansion and next years display. I think that counts me as addicted. Leaping arches (and waterfall columns) look so cool, I have to have them. Then I happen to see Clearwater lights (George Simmons display) with the face on the house and knew what I had to do to the blank brick wall in the front of my house. Thanks so much George!

I'm spending my kids inheritance (I think I need 64 more channels for next year) and you know what? They think it is cool, and they haven't even seen the "small" 16 channel display I will do this year!

I only hope as the word gets out in the little town I live in, people will respect my neighbors. Finest people in the world. They are all excited to see my display, and have chipped in with ideas. If it becomes an issue I guess I will run the lights on request only. Hope it doesn't come down to that though.

One of the things I have learned is that all of the lights don't need to run all the time. Selective use of patterns and sequences makes the display look exciting. Another is that tracks are very useful! I look forward to "stealing" more ideas from you folks, learning more techniques, and getting lots of tips. Maybe someday I will even be able to contribute!

My thanks to all of you, and I truly hope you all have a wonderful Christmas this year!

Thank you for your kind words. With bitter cold and snow just around the corner, it definitely helps to motivate me to go outside and freeze my butt off for the next month and a half.