Light-O-Rama Forums

Screen saver interference?

wildredhead

I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem. It seems that whenever the screensaver is on or the power saving mode is on the show doesn't play. I increased the amount of time for the screensaver to kick on along with the power saving mode and it seems to do the trick.

Like I said, I was just wondering.

If the PC goes into suspend and waits for user activity, then the LOR control panel can not run. Some screen savers are pretty resource intensive, so I have my show PC set up with a blank screen, and configured to turn off the screen only. All other power saving features are turned off on my show PC.

I have also found along with reg, that I disable my screen saver and power savers. On my older machine that I use for show, it diffidently doesn't work a lot of times. This year my show computer is a newer dell with xp, but also planing on just turning off monitor unless I need to see something.

I have also noticed this problem. on the show pc I have the screen saver disabled, but on my other computer that I sequence on, if I have the LOR program open and the screen saver kicks in It completly locks up my monitor in that I can not get it back from the black screen unless i vnc or remote into the computer and close all programs. I thought It was a problem with my computer since it has happened to me before, I have since disabled the screen saver on that computer also.

On my show computer I disable all power saving (and sleep) functions so the computer runs 24/7. I shut off the monitor when I'm not using it to save power.

I also disable automatic windows updates during the show season so the computer does not automatically reboot on its own after an automatic update.

Call me paranoid, but I go even one step further and disable my show pc's internet connection while the shows are running.

And something else for newbies to watch for - the first few nights of the season last year after I'd seen the show two or three times - I'd come inside and play solitaire or some other such low intensity game on the same pc that was running the show. I never gave a thought to the fact that the FM transmitter was broadcasting everything that came through the pc's sound card. The day that someone mentioned being outside in their car watching the show and hearing what sounded like someone playing pc games during a couple of songs, my knees almost buckled. Fortunately it occurred very early in the season and even more fortunately there had been no adult entertainment involved. But it could have turned out different, so beware...

LOL on the Adult "entertainment"...
I plan to use a PC just for the show with NO Internet NO virus check No screen saver ONLY bare minimum to keep Windows and LOR running.

The Weathernetwork says snow tonight... "...it is beginning to look a lot like Christmas..."

• 2 weeks later...

Ha. Yeah I was on the computer playing the show and also watching a video and realized about halfway through that it can be heard outside. Luckily its my first year so no one is around but its a good lesson to know.

Guest wbottomley

Jeff Millard wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
...my show pc's internet connection...

What a cool idea! ...an Internet connection for the show computer!?! I hadn't even thought of that until this very thread. Here I've been carrying this thing over to the hub and connecting it up every time I needed to upgrade it... Sometimes my stupidity amazes me. Like, why wouldn't you want it to have an Internet connection? It's good that I have people I look up to, that I can learn from and... Good Lord am I really that dumb that I didn't think of this over 4 years of show computer use?

Jeff

Oh yea Jeff...., LOL!

My show pc has the following running, Zara Radio, UStream, and LOR at the same time.

Sometimes I surf on the web while the show is running. Just make sure all pc sounds are turned off.