Light-O-Rama Forums

File syncing driving me crazy!

David Barnett

Hey folks, I had my files set up and shared to/from laptop/desktop.

When I initially did everything, it worked fine.

My plan was; when I returned home from my flying schedule, I could just sync the new files to desktop, and work on that computer at home.

I use goodsync. Works great for all my other folders, except the LOR stuff.

IE I work on a sequnce on the laptop, save file as a name chosen. For simplicity, lets just say *.lms were the * is filename. Now, I start goodsync on destop, selct my job of Sequences,Halloween 2009. Run the analyze, it's see's the new file just fine.

But when I hit the sync button, I get the Error 5: Access denied stuff.

Now, if I go to the laptop, re-copy the file to a folder and back, it will sync no problem everytime.

So, what does LOR do to a file when using save as. Anyone else experienced this, and have you found a solution.

It's mentioned usually the main cause is the file is read-only or administrator rights stuff. Well, I have administration rights on both computers.

Was supposed to be simple, but I spend more time trying to sync files than, getting done with sequencing.

Any thoughts and help appreciated.

Best,

David

This doesn't sound like a problem with LOR and their filesave. I'm thinking it's a filesystem issue.

First question, is the file closed (ie exit from LOR) before you try and sync? If the file is open it may have it locked and not allow you to access it from the filesystem.

Second, make sure this isn't a destination folder problem. Create a new text file in that folder using notepad or word and see if that file sync's.

Give that a try and we'll go from there.

Jeremy may be on the right track.

I just wanted to mention that I use DropBox (www.getdropbox.com) for my file sync. Works very well. You save files to your local computer, but the program then uploads them to your DB account.

Then, when you open another computer with dropbox (logged into your account, of course) the program will sync the files.

Haven't tested it with LOR, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Hi Jeremy, Yes, the file is closed ie; LOR is closed., when I try to sync my files.

I'll try the text file thing, to see what happens.

The main thing that confuses me, all the other files and folders I have set up to sync,

Synce just fine. It's just the LOR stuff as mentioned. When I copy those files from the original folder and back to the seq. folder, they'll sync no problem.

I can also synce from the desktop to laptop no problem, jsut from the laptopt to desktop, is when I get the access denied errors.

I'll try a txt file, and see what happens.

Best,

David

(for XP or 2000/Vista) Go to your LOR folder you are trying to sync. Right click on the folder, then click on Properties and finally Security. Make sure the User you are logged in as has full control rights to the folder. Then go to the folder you want to sync to and make sure you have full control rights. Make sure the user that "Sync" users also has full control rights (usually "system"). If one of the folders doesn't have the user or the correct rights besure to add that user or up the rights. Hope that helps.

Ok folks, maybe this did the trick. Will let you know if it reoccurs again.

I basically went to all my folders I had for syncing.

Properties, clicked off the read only attribute apllied it to files and folders.

Just did a sucessful sync. So hopefully that is the problem on the LOR files.

Works fine on all then other folders,files I'm syncing. ....scratching head..but screw it! it worked!:D

Back to sequencing.

Best,

David