Light-O-Rama Forums

2.4.8 advanced tapper wizard

Dale W

I figure that it may just be me, but is any body else having a hard time getting the tapper wizard to work. I make my settings and hit start and there is nothing. It counts down and the music does not start. So I press stop, then start, then stop, then start and it will sometimes start.

I am using a wav formatted file as my music file.

I played with it quickly. I appears to work OK. Nothing really happens in the background but once I hit apply and end, the marks show up. I would prefer it to track along with the song as it used to do.

I am using mp3's.

Hmmm... it works OK for me with or without the countdown, and with WAVs or MP3s.

When you say you "press stop, then start, then stop, then start, and it will sometimes start", the countdown shows every time you hit start, right?

What happens when the countdown finishes counting down? Does the progress bar remain on the screen, or does it go away? Does the big button's caption change to "Tap!", or does it remain at "1...", or change to "0...", or start going negative, or something else?

I would prefer it to track along with the song as it used to do.

I'm not sure what this means. Could you please explain? Thanks.

bob wrote:

I would prefer it to track along with the song as it used to do.

I'm not sure what this means. Could you please explain? Thanks.

I don't feel old enough for memory problems but I don't rule that out. If I remember correctly, when using the tapper wizard last year, the cursor would move across the grid. Now, the only thing that moves is the tap button.

bob wrote:

What happens when the countdown finishes counting down? Does the progress bar remain on the screen, or does it go away? Does the big button's caption change to "Tap!", or does it remain at "1...", or change to "0...", or start going negative, or something else?

I have tried a bunch of things, but I can't seem to reliably reproduce the problem. When the problem happens, the countdown goes to "1..." and stops. The progress bar is empty but still visible.
The "Stop" button is active.
Pressing "Stop" returns to the Tapper Wizard dialog.
Pressing "Start" starts the countdown timer again, and it stops at the same point ("1..." with the progress bar empty).
I was able to do this several times, but then it started normally when I pressed "Start". However, when I pressed "Stop" before it was done, and tried "Start", the problem happened again.

I cannot get the Tapper Wizard to freeze in this way unless the "Use a countdown" box is checked.

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3, logged in as a non-admin.

I'm also having trouble when I click on a URL in Thunderbird. It freezes Thunderbird for about 15 seconds before showing the page in Firefox. Since this is also seems to be an IPC problem, I'm thinking it may be related. I haven't yet tried restarting Windows.

Never mind, I'm pretty sure I've found the problem. The next release (not today's release of 2.4.10) will have a fix for this.

Or, at least, a fix for one potential cause of the problem! Please let us know if it occurs again in any post-2.4.10 release.

In the meantime, as you've all discovered, you can turn off the countdown as a workaround.

Thanks, and sorry for the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been addressed. I am having trouble with the tapper too on 2.4.10

The radio to select a part of the song doesn't seem to work. It always starts from zero so I have to wait until it plays to the part I want to tap.

Related question.. Tapper and the other wizards can't detect the selected time. Why must I enter the time window to process instead of it being picked up by the selected cells.