Light-O-Rama Forums

SPT/self made extension cords, verses store bought

bwaldrep

I know most people here make their own extension cords using SPT wire and vampire ends. I can certainly understand having a custom length being a benefit, but I'm wondering about the safety aspect, verses the cost savings.

SPT (as far as I can tell) is designed for inside use, and not really meant to be used in the outside elements. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

reading threads and looking around, I found 1000' spool of SPT for $80, with $14 shipping, bringing it to $0.096/foot, plus $0.60 (plus shipping) each for a male, and female end. So as an example, a 100 foot cord would cost $10.80 (plus a little more for shipping of the ends) in materials to make.

Home Deport has outdoor 100' extension cords for $12.44, So we are talking a difference of $1.50 give or take. Now I know that does add up when you are talking about multiple cords. But is it really worth it?

Brent

Hi, Brent:

I initially had the same safety concern and was hesitant. But after reading about and actually seeing/experiencing the benefits, I was convinced SPT is the only way to go. I started in 2006 with 100, 50' outdoor green cords from Home Depot, but when your display grows, you'll appreciate the benefits of SPT custom cords.

When you're in the 15,000'+ range of cords, the benefits become apparent:

1. Less cost overall
  2. Custom lengths reduces cord waste
  3. The least obvious, but most important benefit to me was the weight and volume reductions. This is important for storage and handling. It is so much easier to move, handle, and store custom SPT than the standard retail outdoor cords.

I have been using SPT2 for the past 2 years with no issues. I hope this helps with your decision.

Regards,

Roy

Hi Brent,

I used to use some store bought extension cords for my display, but over the years, have found the bulk and weight of the heavier outdoor cords (especially when you have a bundle of cords going in the same direction) to be unmanageable, and unnecessary. SPT1 or SPT2 cords are lighter and easier to manage, and are plenty heavy enough for my application. They have been out for the last 3 Christmases and show no signs of wear or deterioration. I still have a few of those bright orange store bought cords (painted brown or a reddish to camouflage them), but I am gradually replacing them with SPT.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the cords that run from the controllers to the light strings. I still use 100' 12 gauge extensions to get power out to the controllers.

Oh, and if you need a 100' cord to get to a light string, you might look at better controller placement. IMHO, the controllers should be out in the vicinity of the lights.

D.T.

Well, I think it is worth it for my display. Often I am needind many custom lengths of wire and I don't want the bulky female end of an extension cord such as when making my arches or shooting starts. You hit the 3 reasons why I go this route. I make the custom ones more for the convenience and neatness of the display rather than any potential cost savings that may or may not be there.

Much of my display uses SPT wire with "slide on" sockets and plugs. When you think about it, everyone uses extension cords outside and most of those short ones (under 15 feet) are basically SPT wire.

The slide on connector ends make this a fast process. I usually put a few drops of silicone seal in the connector before sliding on the end because a few years ago, I had trouble with the "bite" rusting out and corroding.

Hi Brent,

I second what Roy said. I've got a about half the total footage Roy has and the difference in bulk and weight between spt and store-bought is enormous. Prices are down quite a bit this year, but I found last year that anything under 15 ft. it was cheaper to buy the cords (I've used mostly indoor extension cords for my static display for decades without issue other than UV damage to the insulation) and over 20-25 ft. it was cheaper to make them.

And it is a huge benefit to have cords made to the length you need and not have extra that needs to be disguised and dealt with. (Make sure you label the cords as to their length and what element of the display you use it/them for.) Once you start counting your channels in the hundreds, the extension cords multiply our of control quickly and take up a considerable amount of storage space.

Good luck!

George

One more thing I will add. The SPT1/2 ends from most vendors are indoor/outdoor rated, which puts you ahead of using indoor only extension cords like some people do. The primary gap that leaves is that most of the SPT1/2 cord has no UV inhibitor to allow it to pass any testing for outdoor durability. Between getting it in black, which will naturally be quite UV resistant, and the fact that it will only be out in the yard for a month or two when the daily UV exposure will be the lowest, I really don't worry about the lack of UV inhibitor. I personally prefer SPT2 for the thicker insulation, so that if there is any mild abrasion to the cord, it reduces the insulation by a lower percentage of the total thickness. I do watch for any damaged cords and replace them, but I prefer the extra margin for error.

Correct, but it is still SPT1. There is a legitimate specification for SPT3, and it is larger than SPT2. I'll still choose the extra insulation (at a lower price) over the UV inhibitor.

I hope that I'm not hijacking this thread, but where does everyone get their vampire plugs from? Lowes and Home Depot around don't sell them....

Just curious.... thanks!

-=coasterbp

On your SPT ends, be sure you read the instructions. I have a set of wire cutters that cuts more flush on one side than the other, and I always use the flush side to trim the ends that go in the pugs, so there is no copper sticking out.

Then the instructions should have you clip the two sides apart for about 1/4 inch, and push that split end down in a divided pocket in the plug. This puts a plastic barrier between the hot and neutral, so they can not get bridged inside the plug.

• 4 weeks later...

coasterbp wrote:

I hope that I'm not hijacking this thread, but where does everyone get their vampire plugs from? Lowes and Home Depot around don't sell them....

Just curious.... thanks!

-=coasterbp

Darryl's prices are better than Action lighting. And unlike Action lighting which has a $25 min order. Christmas Light Show has no min.
http://www.christmaslightshow.com/xcart/home.php?cat=29

what about the most important part??

I am not a meticulous as other so this may only be a problem for me, but sometimes when I am taking down my display (or have help taking down my display) eventually I get was is know as the "griswold extension cord ball" (I get it with the home depot cords as well) when I am in a hurry and toss everything together. So that is when I love the SPT cord. I just quickly take of the ends and untangling is a snap!

HA! But I do like that aspect!

Hmmm... I haven't had that happen... YET! :D

But thanks for the heads up about taking the end(s) off... seems like a great way to untangle a crazy mess o' wires.

-Jeff

p.s. Last year I used a couple/three hundred 6' and 9' cords... this year I'm stepping up to at least 75% custom. Way too many connections to worry about last year. :D

So far, I have been getting my SPT2 on 2,500 foot rolls (75 Lbs each) For things that are likely to be in the same place, same grouping the following year, I'll often start one bundle of 4 cords wire tied to the core of the spool, and just wind them back on the spool. When I get them wound, up, I'll put one wire tie on to maintain the grouping, put on a paper tag labeling what they were used for, and plug in the next set of four cords. It really helps keep thing under control. Then I'll try to drag rest of the cords into the back yard, with one end all even up. I'll lay out a tape measure next to them, and make up a paper tag with the length of each of them. Then they get flaked up, bundled on one side with a wire tie, and the other side with the paper tag. Then tossed in a 12 gallon tub that we make sure stays on the bottom of the stacks. Then next year, I can lay them out in order of length, and based on what fit one element, guess pretty close which of them will best fit the next element.

That is great,
I hope they don't run out!
I did not see where you could pick the color, but for that price I don't care if there pink!

Ron

Only one problem with the Home Depot links. They are available online only, and they are out of stock online.

No way to add them to the shopping cart! But they were a great price!

JBullard wrote:

Only one problem with the Home Depot links. They are available online only, and they are out of stock online.

No way to add them to the shopping cart! But they were a great price!

When I read this I went back to check my order, they are online only, but I could add to cart, and did not see out of stock?

Ron
I see, the female plugs are out of stock now, I must have ordered just in time!