Light-O-Rama Forums

My Radio Sign

Joey Monsko

Nice sign because it is bigger than most. People will probably see it easily. I suggest you put a spot light on it.

If that is plexiglass, you might consider back lighting the display.
I made my frame from pressure treated 2x4's with plexiglass and a commercially made black stencil on the front. The back lights are 40 watt display case lamps. I use a light dimmer to control the intensity of the lights to dim them down some.

Attached files 181055=10303-radio-sign.jpg

I also used the box idea with plexiglass (though I sprayed my own rather than a professionally done one) and lined the inside of the box with a strand of white christmas lights. Works great.. though I cracked the plexiglass when drilling the holes to screw it on in one corner.. making a new one this year.

Joey Monsko wrote:

I just made this and my Halloween display is going up Oct. 1st so i got a my sequences and everything all together also.

If that particular white paint reacts to black light, I bet that would look awesome in a Halloween display with black light on it...

To keep from cracking the Plexiglas:(, sandwich it between two scrap pieces of plywood or pine before drilling the hole:).

Cray

The lights are gold M6 LEd's. Perhaps with more careful photography and the use of a tripod the lights would actually look gold...

Attached files 181945=10370-DSCN3546.JPG

And just for the sake of completeness, here's the other one. My display will occupy two yards this year - hence the need for multiple signs.

Attached files 181946=10371-DSCN3548.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to share the sign I'm building.

This is prior to final painting, The sign is just leaning against the house in this shot, but will be set in 2 holes in the ground. The bottom board is just a brace before it gets placed in the ground. The 2 black rectangles, are speakers, so the music can be heard without a radio. They will be covered with a grill to protect them.

Attached files 182782=10403-STA70177.jpg

Well I too have just finished my Radio Sign and I went off of George Simmons design. I used the Black "plastic board" looks like cardboard (you can get this at an Art Supply Store - Not Hobby Lobby or Michaels) and free hand the letters and numbers. Then I drilled holes to receive the Wide-Angle Polka-Dot LED lights. I had Warm White LED's from last year so I used those and then ran out. So I finished using the Cool White that Menards had on sale, or still does today. I used Hot Glue Gun to affix the LED's to the back side and when all done I used 248 LED's for the sign. The sign is 18x24 and I use 2 garage sale sign "H" bar sign holders. The sign was to flimsy with just one, the lights weigh too much. Well here are a few photos.

Jeremy

Attached files 183797=10442-IMG_5836.JPG

This is my sign; enclosed by 2x2s and covered in plexiglass and sealed (glazing compound) to help prevent moisture from fogging up the insides. I printed out the text on my printer. Worked for me last season. I place it where the show lights illuminate it and that seems to work. I have put lights on it in the past but find that that is not necessary.

t

Attached files 183815=10447-DSCN0835.JPG