Light-O-Rama Forums

Latest Halloween Creation

toymakr000

This project has taken about a month of spare time to get materials and build it.
It is LOR controlled with 5 channels. The valves are in parallel with 2 c7 bulbs (for now) to keep them from chattering.
I'm planning on running it on Halloween night. It will be thoroughly fenced off and have a "deadman" valve so if I walk away it will shut down. As well as a fire extinguisher and hose.:}

To regulate pressure I'm using a regulator like a BBQ only higher pressure. to regulate flow to the pilot lights I'm using flow controls for a pneumatics system. Which I have changed the seals to viton from neoprene. The flow to the main burners are just the orifice diameter of the main jets.

Well let me be the first to welcome you to the pyro club... You will find out your guests will love it...

2008 Halloween

This year I found these at Costco: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11258078&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=〈=en-US

I got 5 setup and ready to go... I bought a webber to add the cob webs to them...

I am excited to see fire catching on..... :D

Checkout the bottom of my Sig below.... 150,000 BTUs of fire this year...

Well. I have to admit it.... Your 08 show was the inspiration for this. I was going to do a tiki torch thing but decided to add something to your idea and have flaming Jack-O_Lanterns:)
It's hard to see in the video but they will be orinted like a spiral staircase. It should look real good with Pumpkins. I'm hoping they don't cook too fast....
I'm experimenting with them tonight....
Thanks!

BRA-VO Gary...Hat's off on this one. I can just imagine how freakin awesome it will look with flames coming out of the pumkins.

Just a thought, during the off season, this could be use in keeping those squires away from bird feeder ???:D:D:D

toymakr000 wrote:

Well. I have to admit it.... Your 08 show was the inspiration for this. I was going to do a tiki torch thing but decided to add something to your idea and have flaming Jack-O_Lanterns:)
It's hard to see in the video but they will be orinted like a spiral staircase. It should look real good with Pumpkins. I'm hoping they don't cook too fast....
I'm experimenting with them tonight....
Thanks!

The spiral comes off real good... I like it a lot... The new flames this year I found them at Costco marked down from the $250 for $99 each.... I could not resist :D

Here's a video of my real pumpking test I did last night.

I still need to figure out how much propane I'm going to burn for 4 hours on Halloween night... I think if I run the show with a propane tank on top of a bathroom scale I should be able to estimate run time per tank....

The regulator is a high BTU turkey cooker type. The pilots are controlled by needle valves with check valves. The main valves are gas valves I found on Ebay.

Last year I was getting about 3 days from one of the small Coleman stove tank. That was for one torch and no pilot light. This year I will have a 20lb tank for each torch. I feel this will get me thru most of the Halloween season if not all. Here Costco is filling 20lb tanks for $10.99. Be sure to stay away from these places that have filled tanks ready to pick up... Big rip off... By having your tank refilled and reused you can take it in to be refilled before it runs out.....

I have been reluctant to give out plans on how to because of the danger... I feel it is truly a DIY job.... Because of the dangers involved if you do not know what you are doing.... By having some one like you who went out and figured it out you now truly understand its operation and safety... It is not that hard to make and I have already given out the info on the solenoid valve...

ahhhhh, if only I didn't live in CA!

Last Halloween I had 2 propane metallic tiki type torches. The fire department made a special call to ask me to turn them off on halloween night.

Something about because they ran off propane it falls under a different ordinance, yada yada yada. Decided I didnt want to bother with a fire fight on hallween night!

So I turned them off:(

"I have been reluctant to give out plans on how to because of the danger... I feel it is truly a DIY job.... Because of the dangers involved if you do not know what you are doing...."

I agree! I'm not being a jerk by not sharing all the info. I just don't want anyone getting hurt, or losing their house because they were testing in in their basement or garage, etc......

toymakr000 wrote:

"I have been reluctant to give out plans on how to because of the danger... I feel it is truly a DIY job.... Because of the dangers involved if you do not know what you are doing...."

Agree 100%, Now send me those plans....LOL :):D:D

I ran the show Sat night for 1/2 hour and used only about a pound of propane for all 5 pilots and burners:)
So I should be able to run all night on a 20 pound tank. I also ran the real pumpkins for an hour with no significant damage. So it looks like those will surviv the night as well!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I do play with fire! And yes I do other things besides play with lights.

Our little town of 3500 has an all volunteer fire department. From time to time we do propane training. Tonight was one of our more fun nights of training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8d60fw4zRU

It really takes a lot out of you to do this but it is a lot of fun and well worth it. We burned 200 pounds of propane in over 1 hour of training.

We may be a small rural fire all volunteer department but we make sure that we do things right. Everyone is in full PPE and on air.