Light-O-Rama Forums

Arches

ChristmasDude

Could someone tell me how these arches work?

It seems they have multiple modes, but the modes don't seem random to me, seems they are being controlled. I'm confused here.

Thank you to anyone who responds.

I'm just a newbie here, myself. But it seems to me as if the arches are simply straightforward 8-section arches. Eight sections of mini lights on each arch. Each section controlled by a single channel. The rest is in the sequencing.

Hope this helps!:P

Cray

Most arches that I have seen using mini lights are wrapped with 100-200 lights per section. The arch itself is of 3/4-inch or 1-inch PVC. Some leave a little unwrapped on the ends so the lights are off the ground.

Thing is, at 8 (or so) channels per arch, and I have only 32 channels (for now), I haven't felt like I could work them into my display for this (my first) year. Oh well . . .:?

Check out the arches here (goto the videos). Then on the same site is a little video tutorial of how he made them:

http://www.holdman.com/christmas

Cray

ChristmasDude wrote:

Thanks for the replay Cray, I appreciate it. So, you're thinking that each section, eight per arch, has like 10-20 mini-lights wrapped around it? ...Just want to make sure I understand.

Not quite.

Typically the way most of us build our arches, each section may be a 100 count sting of mini's wrapped around PVC pipe. So, an 8 section arch may contain 800 lights total, but each section is a 100 count string. An 8 "section" arch would use 8 LOR channels per arch.

I use 7 "sections" of 100 ct LEDs per arch myself, 4 arches, or 28 LOR channels.

Thank you everyone for the information and links.

Concerning the PVC pipe, would the below suffice?
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Plumbing-Pipe-Fittings-PVC-Pipe-Fittings/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhcZbbi7/R-100348472/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Also, while I have no experience with this type of decoration, it appears in the videos that even though the pipe is straight, it is flexible enough to bend into an arch, is this correct?

I use 2 foot pieces of 1/2" rebar at an approx 60 degree angle in the ground to slip the ends of the pipe over.

Almost anything will cut PVC plastic pipe, such as a hacksaw

I buy 8 ft lengths and cut it into 2 foot long pieces. About 1 foot into the ground, approx 1 foot out of the ground to slip rhe ends of the PVC pipe over

I use a bandsaw to cut it, but a hacksaw will work

Not only that . . .

. . . since the PVC is hollow, you can just stick it right over the rebar sticking out of the ground! How 'bout them apples?

Cray

ChristmasDude wrote:

Thank you everyone for the information and links.

Concerning the PVC pipe, would the below suffice?
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Plumbing-Pipe-Fittings-PVC-Pipe-Fittings/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhcZbbi7/R-100348472/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Also, while I have no experience with this type of decoration, it appears in the videos that even though the pipe is straight, it is flexible enough to bend into an arch, is this correct?

I have used this type for my arches for years and have had no problems. I only put 100 lights of 3 different colors on them but they have held up nice.

As for how to put them in the ground, I found this idea somewhere either here or an planetchristmas.

Jim

Attached files 180703=10273-3772086627_5110f2beff.jpg

well I am not really sure what they are called but I found them right away and menards. 1 is a four way (But you could use only a three way and on the left and right side is simply a 90 degree piece that one end fits into the original four way. then you put a piece of pvs for the post on the remaining side.

How does that sound for a technical way of doing it? LOL