Light-O-Rama Forums

18/4 wire

Rod Evans

Rod,

I just noticed that that wire is solid conductor, not stranded. Very much flexing and it could break.

That wire is designed for a permanet installation in walls or ceilings, not for running around outside like we usually do with our stuff.

Of more concern than the rated voltage is the current-carrying capacity of the wire. From the American Wire Guild (which is where AWG comes from), 18-gauge wire should carry up to a maximum of 16 amp for chassis wiring (short distances). For transmission, 18-gauge should handle 2.3 amps, and a single 100-light string is well under that at about 1/3 amp. Standard lamp cord is 18-gauge, though it is stranded wire. If you are concerned, refer to a copy of the National Electric Code.

My "question" is -- how flexible is the wire? It seems to me solid core wire would be harder to work with. In addition, because it is stiffer, it is more likely to break (the wire, not the insulation) after repeated uses (moving) or as the result of wind movement.

Were it me, I would opt for SPT, though I know it would cost more, since it has only two conductors instead of the four on the cable you're looking at.

Cray

• 4 weeks later...

I have ordered different items from this company for Model Railroading items and their great to work with. I have put a link below to 18awg 4 conductor cable that is stranded. However it does cost more than the soild, but may be worth the extra money in the long run.

Jeremy

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Belden-Wire-Cable/6302UE-877500/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuPnr6I6Psi5STQCD%2fsAP2ZSdIMSK9InNM%3d

P.S. I don't know where your from Rod, but the shipping will probably be in the $25-30 range and sometimes it's cheaper if you have them mail it to a commercial address (ie. your work address).

We tried to use the outdoor black deck wire just like the link above. As soon as we bent the arch all of the wires we added on to it broke.

It was a nightmare. We had to take apart the whole arch and used the white spt2 wire. Havnt had a problem with it so far=0