Light-O-Rama Forums

2.4.8 install Asking for license info

cmoore60

I just downloaded and installed 2.4.8. The download went fine. The install seemed to work fine. After install I opened the sequence editor and it launched in demo mode. I then did the process from the Help menu to register. When the box opened all of my information was in the fields. I just had to click on register. Then I closed the editor and relaunched and it came up in Advanced.

Is this a known issue? I would think that this should not be happening.

Chuck

I just did the update to my show computer and got the same scenario.

Thank you William for the tidbit.

I think that would have been nice to had a heads up and not create panic. Since there have been threads that have dealt with this kind of thing.

Well I must be special because it didn't open in demo for me. It opened as the advanced. Opened it three times and it still works.

It is asking me now for registration info, and when I click on REGISTER NOW. I get the attached error message..

Reinstall and reboot did not fix...

Any Ideas?

Scott

Attached files 180262=10248-LORREGERR.bmp

Each major rev is signified by the first digit right of the decimal point. Minor revs are the next digit to the right. So... 2.3.1, 2.3.2, 2.3.4 etc... were minor revisions to the major rev 2.3.0. Revision 2.4.0 is a major rev and requires you to use your license information. Likewise 2.5.0 will be yet again another major rev. You are at 2.4.8 due to the beta testing. There was discussion by Dan over major and minor revs in a calendar year. It has to do with the future of the software, and I don't recall the specifics. Just understand that each time there is a major revision, you will be required to provide licensing information.

A couple things about this, to clear up any confusion on it:

First, just a little semantic thing, so that we're all on the same page: "Major" is the first number (in this case, "2"). Minor is the next ("4") and revision is the last ("8").

More importantly:

It used to be basically as described here - you would have to reactivate every time you upgrade to a version where either of the first two numbers have changed (e.g. "2.x.x" to "3.x.x" or "2.3.x" to "2.4.x"). However, we figured that was a bit of an annoyance. And so:

One of the changes that we made in this version is that you won't have to do this as frequently. You'll still definitely have to reactivate if "major" changes, and you might still have to reactivate if "minor" changes, but you probably won't have to reactivate through several new "minor"versions.

Whether or not you'll have to reactivate on a new "minor" version now depends on a few things, like when you purchased your license, when you last activated, and what versions you're upgrading from/to. But, in general, whereas you definitely had to reactivate before, you probably won't have to reactivate for a while after this one.

It is asking me now for registration info, and when I click on REGISTER NOW. I get the attached error message..

That looks to me like your computer can't talk to our licensing server. There are several possible reasons for this:
  • Maybe your ethernet cable is not connected to your computer
  • Maybe it's not connected to your router or modem
  • Maybe your network adapter is disabled
  • Maybe your router or modem is unplugged
  • Maybe your ISP is flaky
  • Maybe our server has exploded

Or a bunch of other possible reasons. If you posted this message from the same computer as you're having the problem on, things like "your ethernet cable is not connected" aren't good explanations, of course. But, basically, your computer can't talk to our server for some reason.

If the problem persists, and you're sure that your internet connectivity from that computer is good, you might want to try offline registration. At the bottom of the registration dialog, it says something like "Need to register offline? Click here." Click on that, and it will step you through the offline registration process.

Oh, one other thing about reactivation, just to be clear:

Reactivating on a previously activated computer does not use up a license seat, so you don't have to worry about that.

Well, in some (hopefully rare) cases it might, but if you ever run into a problem where it says you have no more license seats, and you think you haven't used all of yours, just contact customer support, who will help you out.

bob wrote:

Reactivating on a previously activated computer does not use up a license seat, so you don't have to worry about that.

Well, in some (hopefully rare) cases it might, but if you ever run into a problem where it says you have no more license seats, and you think you haven't used all of yours, just contact customer support, who will help you out.

That's good I was worried when I re-activated this morning that it was going to take up another seat but, I figured it was the same idea as the Windows Activation in which you can activate the same pc as many times as you want...

It was great that it LOR still had all my information when I went to re-activate so I didn't have to copy all that info in again.

-Evan

PS -- Thank you everyone at LOR for making this procedure as smooth as possible!!!!

Jeff Millard wrote:

There was discussion by Dan over major and minor revs in a calendar year. It has to do with the future of the software, and I don't recall the specifics.

This is a bit off topic, but at my small software company we just did some brainstorming about version numbers and I'd like to share those thoughts with LOR.

The conclusion was that for a small company, it makes sense to name the versions after the calendar year. It may sound like something dreamed up by the marketing department, but it also made sense to the engineers.

We used Intuit as an example. Every year, they release a new version of QuickBooks. Late this year, they will release QuickBooks 2010. Intuit will continue to support a version for a few years after it is released, with semi-automatic revision updates, but you have to pay to upgrade to the latest (major) version.

The reason this makes sense is that you know exactly how old your software is. My friend, an accountant, sees the version of QuickBooks a client is using. If he sees "QuickBooks 2005", he thinks: "This version is 4 year old. My client should probably buy the lastest version." However, if instead he saw that they were running version 2.1.6, he wouldn't really notice.

For the engineers, they know that all the new features they will work on will be in the next version that will go into Beta in October or so. It may have features added until it's released in November. Then, bug fixes will be released as revisions.

Think about it: Light-O-Rama 2010, used in some displays this year. Others may wait until Christmas 2010 to use Light-O-Rama 2010. Just a thought.

Steven, I agree. A company I have been consulting for is also doing it the way you mention. Not only do the engineers like it, the sales people love it because it is more obvious to the customer when they are running something really old.

• 1 month later...

bob wrote:

Bob, I'd just like to confirm something about your statement because I'm taking a wild hunch that it isn't entirely accurate.

I plan to upgrade my 3 computers (laptop, development computer, and show computer) to W7 after the end of the year. I'd hate to run out of licenses because of some issue.

I can see by looking at the log of changes to my computer during installation of LOR that some fairly cryptic keys are being placed in the registry that pertain to LOR. If I do a clean install of W7 (which I plan to do), then those keys will be gone when a new registry is created.

So, unless you are storing specific computer identity strings on your server side to compare when a new activation is attempted, then there is no way you can know that it is the same computer and not use up a new license.

I'm guessing that if a person UPGRADES to Windows 7, then it isn't an issue, but with a clean install, then a new license will be used.

So my question is this... If a person does a "CLEAN" install of W7 and LOR on the same computer that was previously activated, will a new license be used up?

We can take this off line and go to a PM if you choose.

It is possible -- though not guaranteed -- that either an upgrade or a full install of a new version of Windows will cause a license seat to be used.

As always, though, this is not the actual intention, so LOR Customer Support will clear up any problems that you may encounter due to things like this.