Light-O-Rama Forums

Warm White or Pure White

jimswinder

Just wondering what peoples preference was for either Warm White or Pure White LED's.

Does one show up better than the other?
Are Pure White too harsh? Too Bright?

jimswinder wrote:

Just wondering what peoples preference was for either Warm White or Pure White LED's.

Does one show up better than the other?
Are Pure White too harsh? Too Bright?

I use both in my display. Mainly because I had both type.

The house is all Warm White and the yard is all Cool White.

It isn't about brightness. Either one won't be brighter than the LED colors, unlike incandescent where white is much brighter than the colors. The difference is that some vendors have a warm white that is a very close match for incandescent white, while the cool white is either a very true white, or a faint blue.

It is very much about your preferences, and what you are looking to do. For the city park, we are using the incandescent like warm whites for everything, as they come closer to maintaining the look we started with.

For the house, we added some new architectural details in a very neutral white, and it helps them stand out more than if we had not.

I also use both the Warm white and the Cool white depending on the application. (The terms used by CDI, my LED vendor)

Only use the Cool white on the Halloween wire frames ( ghosts ) I build. It is, in my opinion, slightly harsher version of white.

Use Warm white on my Christmas shooting stars and "exploding" stars and on a few other wireframes. (in my opinion a little softer type of white) Other places and wireframes I use the cool white for Christmas.

I keep both in inventory and select depending on the application and the look desired.

This is another one of those personal perference things, and you should use whichever you prefer and fits best with your display style and not be influenced by what someone else uses, IMHO.

I was wondering, since I put in my HUGE order today and had not taken the time to go and see if I could actually view the two different types somewhere.

The other thing is that especially with auto white balance on digital cameras, and the way our own vision adapts to the ambient lighting, you can be really surprised comparing what you thought you saw in a photo compared to what you actually see on the display at night.

jimswinder wrote:

I was wondering, since I put in my HUGE order today and had not taken the time to go and see if I could actually view the two different types somewhere.

Hopefully you ordered Full Wave LEDs (once again my personal preference), and its rare to ever find them in any local retail stores.

Whatever you ordered, I'm sure you will like them. I have almost 650 FWR LED strings now, and I love them. Hardly ever use any incadescent lights anymore.

and as KLB stated, photos are almost useless for comparing LED strings. They are always much better in person!

Hmm, just noticed your poll at the top of the thread, didn't vote, since I have and use both depending on the application

Yes, ordered Full Wave. I have been researching LED's for several months for the best prices.

Ordered them from ledholidaylighting.com (seasonalimpressions.com). They were by far the cheapest...(though shipping seemed high...added about a $1 per string), but I guess all LED lights strings are a little different, huh?

Do all LED strings have the same style connectors, so you can mix and match?

In my experience, the commercial strings from different manufacturers can vary, and may not be compable with each other. (just like with rope light)

jimswinder wrote:

figures...why make it easy in the consumer...

These were not designed for the "consumer", but to lock in the commercial customer to a particular manufacturer's product line. Called "smart business".

Last year I upgraded to LED white lights from Phillips and after all of the money I regret it. The lights are so bright they almost have a slight blue tint. I never thought I would say this but I might REVERT back to the classic white minis. As far as color I dont regret moving to LED.

The ones you got from Phillps...were they Bright/Pure White or the Warm White?

I did find that the "Warm White" were always more expensive...so I figured it was because they were more popular (supply and demand).