Light-O-Rama Forums

building a webpage

friskybri

I was wondering what host does most people from here use. I was looking at domain names and was wondering where to go from there. I have made some small ones on like comcast or other but want to make it with my own .com or .net name. Could someone point me in the right direction.

I just discovered www.wix.com They host flash websites, which gives the pages a lot of movement and options. They have a lot of Christmas formats as well. Cost about the same as most and I think it looks better. I did use 1 and 1 last year, but it was "ok". Very happy so far with wix.com. Good luck!

Tim

I use One World Hosting. They have a $99 a year package that INCLUDES registration of a domain name for life. over 200 megs of storage and GREAT uptime and technical support. Check them out at:

www.oneworldhosting.com

-Gary-

here's my website, hosted there:

www.mansfieldchristmaslights.com

Anyone use justhost.com Not for sure but it looks like they are one of the better ones. from the top 10 lists but who knows they could own those sites and just say they are the best. Man making me cross eyed trying to figure this one out. :shock: THanks guys for your input by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished mine from www.wix.com As I mentioned above, that this is a flash web builder which allows you more motion on your pages. I actually toned my down from what I could have done. Otherwise there would have been too much motion going on at once. My site is www.christmasoncharles.com

Tim

Well. I not that good at building web pages. this is something new for me this year. I look forward to learning that also. I am using justhost.com as my web host. I figured they can handle the basic stuff if they cant do flash or fireworks more complicated web stuff down the road I can switch. Don't know if $70 for two years is good or not but looked good. Now the fun of trying to use programs to build it. They had one in a panel that helped me out and got a basic web page up at Peorialights.com Now need to figure out how to make a great webpage with adding pics and video ect.

friskybri, maybe I am weird about it, but I would not want my full name out there on the www!

On your contacts page, you have your full name as your email address.

vipzach wrote:

friskybri, maybe I am weird about it, but I would not want my full name out there on the www!

On your contacts page, you have your full name as your email address.

If your full name is Brian Jones, there is no danger whatsoever. What's someone going to do? Apply for a loan?

However, I would never put my email address on a web page! As soon as you do that, you'll be on spam lists forever. And don't think it's impossible to keep from getting spammed. I have one email address I use for family and friends that has not had a single spam received for 5 years or so. I don't even have any spam filters. The trick is that I never that address to anyone I don't trust.

Instead of an email address, my "Contact Us" page has a form that visitors fill out. It sends their message to a script that forwards the information to me.

Mountainwxman wrote:

For basic html, any reliable host should work.

If you plan to use a cms or anything that has a database attached to it, avoid GoDaddy and 1 & 1.

Had less than stellar database responses from GoDaddy?

I thought at first of that might still change it. The purpose of these websites is to find the address of our display or location. Its not hard to find info off of WHOIS databases on websites on who owns it and their address. I did a search on Holdman.com It gave name and address. If someone really wants your info its not that hard to get. I can always change to something else or pay for donaim privacy. Thanks for the info guys. This is new to me.