Light-O-Rama Forums

I am so pumped right now!

David Barnett

Hey fello Halloween folks. I just have to tell you about my recent purchase.

Some of you may have already seen this in the Grandinroad catalog, if not let me tell ya all about them.

GR has these lighted outdoor letters approx 20" high with a 6" high stake...so they are raised off the ground.

They are red with red mini lights attached. THey resemble Blood dripping lettering.

They have 2 one says BEWARE, and the other say DEAD END.

I purchased the BEWARE sign, in hopes I could really do some cool things with the letters. However, before purchasing; I tlaked to cust. serv...she said it looked like they were all connected by a socket attachent...not like the regualr mini plugs.

So, i was really bummed about the the potential proprietary plugs/sockets. I have a friend who is an electrician, so talkng to him...he said we might figure out a work around.

Are you ready for it.......drum roll......The package arrived yesterday.....each letter has it OWN plug......freakin awesome!!:D

They look really cool as well. My mind has been racing a mile a minute; thinking of all the possibilities. Haven't tested with a seq. yet; but since they are just strands of mini's..I don't think there will be any problems.

Check them out!http://www.grandinroad.com/jump.jsp?item=32750&maincatcode=null&subcatcode=null&itemID=17166&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C2759%2C2762%2C2774&iProductID=17166

I hope it's OK to post a direct link. This is the BEWARE sign.

Happy Haunting!

Best,

David

Even if they were all tied to together you could always cut the cords and install your own plugs on them. That is a simple process and then you can have full contorl with your LOR system on them. Way cool.

Howdy, the pic doesn't do them justice. They look way cool when you see them in action.

They are very well made too. I think they'll hold up for several years. I agree, even if they were together..could have cut and spliced.

My main concern was the type of plugs. I was given the impression, they wern't your ordinary mini light plugs but more of a pin/socket like thing. I was relieved they were all seperate, and just normal plugs.

Probably could have saved a little, if I mad the wire frames, and installed lights myself. But, to me, for 150.00 this is a nice package. Hence my excitement and wanting to tell you nice folks.

This is my second year for LOR, still learning. Gotta get through my 6 month checkride first, then LOR time!

Best,

David

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate the information. Having access to what others have done is always inspiring to me. I looked at the following item

http://www.grandinroad.com/jump.jsp?item=35303&maincatcode=null&subcatcode=null&itemID=22450&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C2759%2C2762%2C2774&iProductID=22450

and it gave so many ideas. However my ideas I can never find in a store or catalog. Go figure. I have been making a new ghost prop of six ghosts holding hands in a circle. I have run lights to them and tied them all together.

In addition I have been purchasing various pumpkins that already have lights in them or I am going to add lights inside to have 10 lighted pumpkins for a choir. My other project for this year is a large pumpkin face. I have looked at several other displays and an I am now working on my own version.

I also purchase the following items from Grandinroad for halloween.

http://www.grandinroad.com/jump.jsp?item=35380&maincatcode=null&subcatcode=null&itemID=22196&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C2759%2C2761%2C2769&iProductID=22196

and

http://www.grandinroad.com/jump.jsp?item=32280&maincatcode=null&subcatcode=null&itemID=11027&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C2759%2C2761%2C2769&iProductID=11027

It was the hardest thing for me to not start putting them out this weekend! I have been working on this all summer and I am ready to do this!

Look out Christmas here I come!

Attached files 180566=10270-Halloween 006.jpg

hi Todd, yes I hope too as well.

I use HLD, if Micheal gets the new features and performance/bug fixes out at the end of Sept. This will be a great program for visualization.

When I get some of my seq. done, I may see if I can do a vid of the HLD screen to give an idea of my show.

If not, will definetely try and video everything this year.

Best,

David

Todd -

I don't have the time to do this, but you may be interested in something like this:

- I've seen several different build-it-yourself plans to do a crank ghost, including a roof-mounted unit.

Interesting broom; I wonder if I can fit it in my budget for my wife's workplace......

Thanks for the info. My wife runs a daycare out of our home. So I have to keep things at a PG scare level. A few of my past creations have scared some kids so bad they will not set foot at our home again.

That does not help her with her daycare business so she has set some limits for me on my displays.

I managed to get my wife to let me start setting up some of my displays today since it is offically fall tommorow. I will be taking pictures of the setup once I have it all set out. The ghosts are floating in the tree tonight. I have not hooked up the lights yet. I managed to get the frame made out of pvc to hold all six ghosts up into the tree.

I purchased some straw bales and setup my pumpkin choir. The rest of my setup and displays will be setup this weekend I hope.

I understand the PC thing!

I keep telling my neighbors I only want "Disney scary" - I'm trying to keep the little kid fun in it. My brother-in-law and my son's in-laws have decided that Halloween is devil worship and should be banned, forgetting entirely that early Christianity took over the fall festival day as a day of religious celebration.

So, I figure "Disney scary" is as far as I'm going to go. I don't care that much for horror movies anyway.

I'll probably get the 6 year old girl next door to "help" me set it up, as well as some of the other neighborhood kids. It'll probably take longer doing so, but will help with the "Disney scary" thing. I'm trying to compensate for the neighbor a block over 3 years ago that ran out dressed up like Texas chainsaw massacre with a chainsaw running (no chain on it) chasing everyone that came near his house.

You might try getting the kids to help you set up the stuff, if schedules and safety allows.

Jack Stevens wrote:

I understand the PC thing!

I keep telling my neighbors I only want "Disney scary" - I'm trying to keep the little kid fun in it. My brother-in-law and my son's in-laws have decided that Halloween is devil worship and should be banned, forgetting entirely that early Christianity took over the fall festival day as a day of religious celebration.

So, I figure "Disney scary" is as far as I'm going to go. I don't care that much for horror movies anyway.

I'll probably get the 6 year old girl next door to "help" me set it up, as well as some of the other neighborhood kids. It'll probably take longer doing so, but will help with the "Disney scary" thing. I'm trying to compensate for the neighbor a block over 3 years ago that ran out dressed up like Texas chainsaw massacre with a chainsaw running (no chain on it) chasing everyone that came near his house.

You might try getting the kids to help you set up the stuff, if schedules and safety allows.

Having young kids myself, and struggling with the "Halloween issues" that can arise at churches and religious schools - I've always simply done a "Pumpkin Themed" Halloween display. Nothing scary - just Pumpkins.

Of course - I balance that with my Christmas displays being more "sacred" ... i.e. no Rudolph, Frosty, or Santa. Just trees, stars, etc.

Just some thoughts.....

Economics and scared kids is what drives my Halloween display. No religious issues here just want to have some fun that scares a little. Being scared a little is a part of Halloween.

I have found in the past that just some very basic simple things would scare the living daylights out of moms more than the kids ever got scared. So I now have to have my wifes's approval before I setup things for Halloween.

I run my displays at three different levels on Halloween night. It is a G scare level early on for the little ones. After 7 PM then I amp things up for the older kids that are still trick or treating. I figure anything about goes after 8 PM. Music and effects are way more amped up after 8 PM. Everyone is in a scare mood on Halloween and it does not take big involved high dollar displays to scare people. Simple basic things will accomplish the job. I used a air cannon one year shooting confetti when people would walk by. The sound of the air rush scared the daylights out of kids and adults. Go figure. I have not done that prop for three years now and I still have people walk up to the house looking out for the air cannon and still commenting about it three years later.

Christmas I do my displays the way I want. Lots of Santa, Rudolph, and Christmas tree's. I know some folks out there do not approve and if they do not like it they do not have to look or drive by my home if they do not approve. I have never had anyone complain about my displays so far I have only received compliments and goodies.

The goodies are great. This year I am going to ask people to donate to the local food bank if they wish to show there appreciation. I do appreciate the fresh baked goodies too though.