Light-O-Rama Forums

C9 LED Brightness???

jim6918

The only C9 bulbs I use are in two strings of luminarias that edge my driveway. There are +/- 30 bulbs in each string. Certainly enough amps to have an effect on power. I am seriously considering changing out to LED C9 retro. To those of you who use the retro LED bulbs, what is your opinion about their brightness compared to incandescent? More than likely I will be going with red and green. I use a pure white plastic bag, not the tan bag you usually see.

I used the warm white dimmable retro bulbs (See LedHolidayLighting.com) in light blue plastic bags last year. They worked quite well.

See the right side of the house? Well those are retro fit screw in C7 LED bulbs, and the tree are C6 full wave light strings from Canada Costco.....the blue lights that is.

Anyhow I use 3 lights of the same colour for a better effect and brightness.

Attached files 178371=10176-100_0993.JPG

• 4 months later...

jim6918 wrote:

The only C9 bulbs I use are in two strings of luminarias that edge my driveway. There are +/- 30 bulbs in each string. Certainly enough amps to have an effect on power. I am seriously considering changing out to LED C9 retro. To those of you who use the retro LED bulbs, what is your opinion about their brightness compared to incandescent? More than likely I will be going with red and green. I use a pure white plastic bag, not the tan bag you usually see.

Whats the bags for?

Hmmmmmmmmm. Guess luminarias aren't a big thing in up-state New York, it's a Southwest thing starting, I believe in New Mexico. Here's a picture. The original luminarias, were brown paper bags, weighted down with a couple of inches of sand, and lit with a candle. The modern version have plastic bags, a base of some kind and lit with C9 stringers spaced about 2 feet apart. You can get green and red bags, or a tan bag that looks like paper bags, or white bags.

Attached files 192602=10792-9786798_zoom_a.jpg

Oh, I see, Well your right, lol, That would not work here in upstate ny. Considering once it snows they would be gone. They they would be destroyed when the driveway gets plowed or sucked up by mistake when the snow blow was used. Thanks for the photo.

[align=left]In the Southwest, luminarias have a significant religious importance. In the 1800’s luminarias were small bonfires built along the roadside to commemorate Christ’s birth. They were used to guide people to Midnight Mass on the final night of LAS POSADAS. You can Google that if you're interested in that tradition.[/align]
[align=left]Later people used farolitos, small paper bags with sand in the bottom and a small candle inside to light the bag. This was a substitute for the more dangerous bonfires. Children in the southwest, reenacting the night of Las Posadas often carried the farolitos in their hands. Today they are used to line walkways, driveways and roof tops.[/align]
[align=left]Now in the day of cheapening traditions, you can buy electrical luminarias at Hobby Lobby. It would of course be a pain in the butt to light 100 candles in paper bags for the entire season. LOL[/align]

Now flame throwers are a bit to much. But how about those things that they used to use at concerts. Where there is a puff of flames that rise up. Almost like a fire ball pops up 6 - 8 feet up in the air. So, can you see these mini fire balls popping up out of the bags. But I dont think we will be able to use plastic bags..

Max-Paul wrote:

Now flame throwers are a bit to much. But how about those things that they used to use at concerts. Where there is a puff of flames that rise up. Almost like a fire ball pops up 6 - 8 feet up in the air. So, can you see these mini fire balls popping up out of the bags. But I dont think we will be able to use plastic bags..

Don't they call those a Bouncing Betty? Hmmmmm maybe thats another life. LOL

I use white bags with 4 C7s (2 red and 2 green) and they glow quiet nicely. One C7 just wasn't enough. I have retro LED C9s in round "Paper Lanterns" (made of nylon) hanging in a tree and they light up just fine. I think 1 C9 would be OK.

I'm trying to figure out what I can replace the luminaries with next year because the set up and take down is a severe pain in the rear!!