Light-O-Rama Forums

Help - Upgrade Failed

bhays

I turned on my show computer for the first time since January. Of course, LOR complained about the license. I still had 2.1.6 on the machine. So I did the email to get my license, entered it into the software and it seemed to register just fine.

Then I downloaded the latest release, 2.3.8 and ran the install. Now, everytime I try to run control panel, or any other app, I get an error message about not being able to locate Light-O-Rama.msi. I did a search and it does not seem the file exists on the computer, although I saw the installer extract it.

Help.

p.s. I tried to install 2.3.8 on my sequencing machine without doing anything with the license first and get the same error. One machine is running XP and one is Vista..

Like I said... help!

Did you try to redownload the software? I don't know why but v2.3.4, and 2.3.6 were both over 25Mb in size and 2.3.8 is 20Mb, I wonder if 2.3.8 is just an upgrade? that requires one of the earlier versions to work?

bisquit476 wrote:

Did you try to redownload the software? I don't know why but v2.3.4, and 2.3.6 were both over 25Mb in size and 2.3.8 is 20Mb, I wonder if 2.3.8 is just an upgrade? that requires one of the earlier versions to work?

Well, I thought about that, but the only download link I can find is for 2.3.8 :/

I have heard of people having some troubles in the past. And one of the things that had to be done is an edit to their registers. I have not had to do this, but I think on the support page there is something maybe in the FAQ section telling you how to do this reg edit. It will wipe out LOR and this will then allow you to do a fresh install. This might be the cure you seek.

Max

Yes, for the benefit of anyone who may find this thread in the future:

Anytime that Windows complains about not being able to find the MSI file, it's typically because Windows is confused about what is, and what is not, installed. For such situations, Microsoft has made a tool called the "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility". It can be found, along with directions, at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Basically, you would do the following:

(1) Close all of your running programs.

(2) Download the installer for the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from that web page.

(3) Run that installer.

(4) After it installs, run the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility itself.

(5) It will present you with a list of installed programs. Select any and all "Light-O-Rama" programs, and tell it to clean them up.

(6) Close the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

(7) Reinstall Light-O-Rama.

Thanks Bob, Thought that I might have been on the right track, but fumbled the location of the reg edit program. Now to help me help others better next time. Is there anything in the FAQ or else were on the LOR site that tells all this? Sort of like what you posted?

Thanks

Max

• 3 weeks later...

stupid question and maybe its been ask before, what happens to the sequences when i delete LOR will they go to?

Copy the sequences and music files and put them in a different folder, that way even if the LOR delete does remove them, you still have the files. I can't remember if those files are deleted when you uninstall LOR or not.

I did not do anything special and my old sequences were still there. When you start the editor, you get a window with three tabs. One is a list of "old" sequences, and I found them there.

Ok.. new twist here. Searched the forums and haven't found anything like this one yet. Intalled 2.3.6 on home computer. Bit of a bug, but got it working. Then my computer crashed. No problem. Rebuilt it, reloaded all software. Decided to do my sequencing on my show computer, which still had the stuff on it from last season. Took my disk with 2.3.6 on it and started upgrade. About half way through, I get:

Error 1406: Could not write value to key

.lasshellcommand. Verify that you have

sufficient assess to that key, or contact your support

personnel.

Ok. Save sequences to another drive nice and safe. Uninstall all LOR programs, Run the registry cleaner that Bob gave us the link to. Found no ref to LOR anywhere. Re-ran install. Same error message. Went to the web site and downloaded 2.3.8. Saved to desktop. Ran install again. Same error message. (Total download size was 20.1)

OS is WinXp, service pack 3, WMP v11.0

DUH!!! This is the fastest that i've had a problem fixed.. After writing this, went back and turned my anti-virus off (McAfee 8.7) Installed RIGHT THEN. Started to delete this post, but maybe someone else will run into this problem..