Light-O-Rama Forums

What counts for a channel now?

HowardShank

:D I guess I have to enter a new category during the LOR contests now... hm... is that good or bad?

HowardShank wrote:

:D I guess I have to enter a new category during the LOR contests now... hm... is that good or bad?

Most people are worried about bragging rights. But, that's a very interesting point. I'm sure some folks will only want to count the macro channels for the contest rules.

Luckily I don't have to worry about that this year :(

I say if you have to individually program it it is added to your channel count.:(

If you are programming 3 channels with 1 RGB channel I would say that is 1 channel.:D

But hay, that just me.:shock:

And what if you use a ServoDog to move other light channels, does that count as a channel in the contest. Or what if you construct a way (with brushes) to spin a color ribbon with modified free spinning servo, effectively giving you a circular array of pixels...:?... Hmm, maybe I WILL try that. :D

• 3 months later...

I think that each ccr should count for 7 channels because of the macro effect instead of counting 157 channels. or maby LOR could do a diffrent contest instead of counting channels count controllers instead of 32 or less channel catagory have maby 3 or less controllers etc....

Maybe it should depend on how you are programming it. If it is in single pixel mode, with the current software, you have a R, G, and B channel to count. If you have it in 50 pixel mode, you have all 150 channels to deal with.

So, maybe the formal definition should be the number of channels in your configuration that are sequenced, and result in commands altering your display.

-klb- wrote:

Maybe it should depend on how you are programming it. If it is in single pixel mode, with the current software, you have a R, G, and B channel to count. If you have it in 50 pixel mode, you have all 150 channels to deal with.

So, maybe the formal definition should be the number of channels in your configuration that are sequenced, and result in commands altering your display.

Hey Kevin,

Arn't you getting tired of having the right anwser all the time?:D

-klb- wrote:

Well stated!

rstately wrote:

-klb- wrote:

Hey Kevin,

Arn't you getting tired of having the right anwser all the time?:D

I promise I've gotten a few wrong.. :) I just try to add value while keeping the mistake count low.. :D

Well I have seven Firefly controllers and I program each pixel in each color separately since LOR hasn't given us virtual RGB channels yet. That's 48 channels in my sequence for each controller! (336 channels)

What about the iDMX1000? I think you should only count channels used in the sequence. :)