Light-O-Rama Forums

Play range

Greg Doughty

Is there a way to use the space bar to start a visible screen play only? I struggled with this last year, too. I want to use keyboard shortcuts but I find that if I have the play range set to visible screen, when I hit the spacebar, LOR wants to play the entire piece, but if I use the mouse to click on the green play button at the top, LOR will only play visible screen.

Thanks, I think sequencing will go much faster if I learn this.

The way the space bar works is that it will play the freeform play range, if you have set one. If not, it will play starting at the start of the cells you have selected. The latter is so that you can hit space to start play, space to pause, space to resume, space to pause, et cetera.

So, if you want the space bar to play your visible screen, then set your freeform play range to the visible screen. The easiest way to do this is probably by click-and-dragging in the time scale (make sure View / Time Scale) is turned on.

For more information, please see:

http://lightorama.com/help/index.html?freeform_play_mode.htm

If I could throw my 2 cents in...

I think it would be a great help to have the play range as buttons on the tool bar instead of a drop down menu. I constantly switch between "Play Visible Screen" and "Play From Begining" so much that I forget what it was set to when I press Play, then am surprised when it jumps to the start of the sequence.

Scott

• 1 month later...

Shubb wrote:

If I could throw my 2 cents in...

I think it would be a great help to have the play range as buttons on the tool bar instead of a drop down menu. I constantly switch between "Play Visible Screen" and "Play From Begining" so much that I forget what it was set to when I press Play, then am surprised when it jumps to the start of the sequence.

Scott

I agree with Scott, I am constantly changing my play ranges and having those as buttons on the toolbar would be much easier.

Ken

Let's make it a trifecta. I also would like to see buttons for switching back and forth between playing full sequence and visible screen.

Shubb wrote:

I constantly switch between "Play Visible Screen" and "Play From Begining" so much that I forget what it was set to when I press Play, then am surprised when it jumps to the start of the sequence.

I leave the play range on "Visible Screen". When I want to play from the beginning, I simply hit "Home", then "Space".

What I would like is to add the "Play Range" menu to the "Play Preferences" dialog.

Except "Home" only works if a cell is highlighted, but if you have clicked on anything else such as a tool button then you have to click on a cell and then hit "home" Depending on the tool selected this might change the sequence.

Shubb wrote:

Except "Home" only works if a cell is highlighted, but if you have clicked on anything else such as a tool button then you have to click on a cell and then hit "home"

Are you using the same version as I am (2.3.8)? The only way I can make "Home" not work is when I first open a sequence, but in that case it's going to start at the beginning anyway.

I think I'm losing it... I read the post, turned on the sequence editor to try it and I swear it would work unless I clicked on a cell. I tried it 5 or 6 times!!!
Now, I tried it again and it does go back to the begining.

Maybe I've been staring at the editor to long.

I consintantly switch between visable screen and entire sequence along with freeform so something on the toolbar would be nice. As stated before, it is a shock to hit play, expecting it to play the visable screen, and it jump to the beginning!