Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencer crashes when I try to open wave form

J.J.

I use my waveform to time certain elements to the music. With the new version of S2, every time I try to open the wave form view my program crashes. I have tried shutting anything that is running except what is absolutly needed and it still happens. Good thing I am starting early on my new sequences.:(

Here's my config.

Windows Vista Premium, Intel duo core 2.2ghz, 3gb RAM, 500GB Hard Drive

Here is the error

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: LORSequenceEditor.exe

Application Version: 2.3.0.8

Application Timestamp: 4a54fc57

Fault Module Name: MSVBVM60.DLL

Fault Module Version: 6.0.98.2

Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a724

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0000a20e

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 204d

Additional Information 2: 194d92c0d72243eeb349bf1f3ffc0ca6

Additional Information 3: 6594

Additional Information 4: ec8114ea93d3bdf8ff7cbb5fd74220b5

Looks like a null pointer reference/access violation error in the code to me.

(I'm a developer)

2 questions.

1. Does the song play OK in another program other than LOR sequence editor?

2. You could use a program like Audacity and just import the song then export it to another name, then see if the sequence editor will show the waveform then.

Audacity can fix minor internal problems in MP3 & Wave files that LOR sequence editor has to have.

The sequence and the mp3 worked just fine in the older version of S2. It's the new build for some reason that all of my files are having a problem with. I need the wave form view on top of the so I can do things to certain timings si just getting it to show in another program, which it does, does not help me. I will try to download again and reinstall and burn a license and see if it works.

JJ

JJ

I would suggest that you do not uninstall If you can live with it for now. Since you posted kind of late on Friday. LOR I think has a short day on Fridays. Wait till Monday when LOR gets in and has a chance to check the boards. I am sure that Bob will respond to this when he gets a chance to read the board.

Also I found this.

bob wrote:

If you have already registered LOR on this PC, registering again on this PC should not cause one of your licenses to be used up.

EDIT

I think I may have misread this post. If you've reformatted your hard drive, or reinstalled Windows, you may or may not have used another license.

I thought that you were asking about reinstalling LOR. Reinstalling LOR will not cause another license to be used.

In any case, as Dan said:

As far as concern about the 5 licenses.... The license system is in place to prevent abuse. Legitimate users should not be concerned. A phone call or email will take care of any problems.

Chuck

I had a bit of trouble also when I up-graded to 2.3.4 from the earlier version of 2.1.6 I think it was. I also am running Vista. I think all I had to do isto import the music again, maybe it took twice. Had to do this to all three of my seq. But after importing the music files again no more problems. Might try this tonight or tomorrow while your waiting for LOR to come back to work Monday.

Max

Thanks for the replys. I will wait to reinstall, but have already tried importing the audio files again. Same result. Thanks again.

J.J. wrote:

Thanks for the replys. I will wait to reinstall, but have already tried importing the audio files again. Same result. Thanks again.

J.J. did you try importing then exporting the wave file though Audacity?

It does fix some hidden issues in audios files. I had to do that to some of mine to make them work in S2.

Worth a try and not burn another license.

• 4 months later...

What version are you using? What operating system?

Does it happen for all sequences, some, or one?

Could you please send me (bob@lightorama.com) a copy of a sequence, plus a media file, that it happens for?

Shawn, when you say export and import the mp3, are you talking about scrubbing it with audacity? If not, you should give that a try.

I'm having the same issue on my laptop. Sequences that work fine with wave form displayed on my desk top will crash on the laptop when I ask to see the wave form.

Some sequences work correctly on the laptop. I have replaced their media files with media files from the sequences that don't work and the edited sequence crashes. I've also installed media files from "non crashing" sequences into sequences that otherwise crashed and they crashed. The laptop has Ver 2.5.6 and the desktop has Ver 2.6.

There seems to be something inherent in a particular media file or sequence that makes it crash with certain PC configurations. I have had no problems on my desktop.

After further investigation, I discovered that the media files that I was having trouble with were all purchased and downloaded from Amazon. These files are probably VBR encoded as opposed to CBR.
There have been some posts about this. The media files that I have ripped down from CD's have all been CBR encoded and work fine on the laptop. I suspect that when I "replace" an unviewable media file with a viewable media file (CBR encoded) that the unviewable file is still in a buffer somewhere causing the view wave form to crash. I have not used a text editor to replace the unviewable media file with a viewable file (so the "bad" file never gets loaded in the first place). I'll try this tonight and see what happens.

Also, VBR files seem to behave differently in the sequence editor (on the desk top where I can view the wave form). Unless I start the sequence from the beggining with the annimation transport controls, the music playback does not line up correctly with the wave form or the light control events. Editing "on the fly" using the cursor and space bar as transport controls gives very inconsistant results. I suspect that the sequencing software is using a proportionaly linear calculation depending on where the cursor is located to locate the correct offset in the media file to start playing.

Using CBR media files might be a possible work around until the computer configuartion issues get worked out.

VBR files have various problems, such as the play range problem you mention (this is due to Windows Media Player not actually starting play at the time that we tell it to start at - it just starts play somewhere kind of near that time for a VBR file). But they shouldn't cause LOR to crash.

Could you please send me a copy of one of the files with this problem? My email address is bob@lightorama.com. Thanks.