Light-O-Rama Forums

Twinkle Effect

CLD Kevin

After I download 2.3.8 I noticed the twinkle effect just got a lot faster when selecting the channels to blink on and off randomly? Now is looks more like Shimmering.

The view animation looks like it did. Is there now a speed control for the twinkle to choose how fast the channels are randomly selected?

Yes, the visualizer. The twinkle effect ramdomly selects the channels choosen to blink on and off. The previous verson would "twinkle" slower than the current release on the visualizer. As if the channnels being selected randomly are being selected faster. Fast enough to almost like like Shimmering.

I dont know if it the actual lights are being affected as I did not run a test, but the visualizer does look different.

Several efficiency improvements were made to the Animator in version 2.3.4. It now uses much less CPU power than it did before, and because of that, we were able to get rid of some compromises that we had made earlier. Specifically, it now is able to redraw much more frequently than it used to, which means that fades look a lot smoother now than they did before.

This probably had the unintended side effect of speeding up the twinkling. We'll check into it. Thanks for pointing it out.

The visualizer is an approximation, especially when it comes to shimmer and twinkle. Even with fades, different lights will have different response curves, and the visualizer only has one response curve.

The behavior of shimmer and twinkle is set in the firmware, not the software, and none of the firmware update logs document any changes to how twinkle and shimmer are implemented. So any changes in the animation window do not imply changes in how the effects are actually performed by the controller.

-klb- wrote:

The visualizer is an approximation, especially when it comes to shimmer and twinkle.  Even with fades, different lights will have different response curves, and the visualizer only has one response curve. 

The behavior of shimmer and twinkle is set in the firmware, not the software, and none of the firmware update logs document any changes to how twinkle and shimmer are implemented.  So any changes in the animation window do not imply changes in how the effects are actually performed by the controller. 

Well said.