Light-O-Rama Forums

Netbook

Greg Doughty

Wow, thanks so much. I searched the Internet, but had a hard time finding something. I think I am going to try it. I am sequencing on my desktop machine, and running it off of my old laptop, but the netbooks are really appealing.

Greg

www.vblights.com

• 6 months later...

Mountainwxman wrote:

Greg, I haven't sequence on one but here it is in action: http://www.vimeo.com/3857259

It's the Dell Mini 9 with 1.6g processor, 2G of ram, 16G SSD.

I also use my mini 9 to do testing during the year and while putting up the display with S2.

as far as sequencing off of it.. should still work fine, just the screen is so small. I have connected my Mini9 to a 26 inch Sony LCD to watch movies.. it is a little powerhouse!

I ran my show using an ACER ONE NET BOOK i think it has a 9 inch screen

It ran the show nicely without any lags or any problmes that I can remember

Two important things

one if you are going to leave it on all the time use a note or net book cooler that plugs into the usb. I use a laptop cooler it is lager than need be but it is cheaper only about 5 to 9 bucks on the internet.

the other issue is a power issue open power options under when pluged in make sure it is set to not turn off computer after x amount of time it is normally set for 2 hours I think the only one you want on is stand by. on the pluged in option and I would not recommend changing any under when running on battery

I also have an Acer Aspire One netbook, but used the mdm-mp3 (mini director) this past year.

I want to go back to using a PC to "direct" the show, in hopes of doing RDS for this year's show.

I've also used an Acer Aspire One. For me, I'd only use it in a pinch for sequencing. At home I have a 22" LCD monitor and compared to that the Acer's screen is almost painfully tiny. As a lark while waiting for someone in a doctor's office or something it's okay - meaning better than reading year-old magazines. But for serious sequencing for anything over 16 channels, for me and my 57 year-old eyes it's way too much of a strain. I haven't used it for running a show yet. It would be my plan C in that capacity so I'm hoping that I'll never have a first-person report on that capability.