Light-O-Rama Forums

Using Tapper wizard with new software?

TWright

I've upgraded my LOR software but find that I've evidently forgotten how to use the "Tapper" wizard. When I start a new musical sequence, and try to use the tapper wizard, I get an error pop-up that says "cannot add timings to a fixed timing grid". What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Tom

First, a little background info:

One recently added feature is the concept of a "timing grid". A timing grid is a set of timings.

You can have more than one timing grid in a sequence, and quickly change which one is being displayed at any given time.

For example, you might have one timing grid to represent the vocals in a song, another to represent the lead guitar, and another that's equally spaced timings five hundredths of a second apart.

In LOR 1, to have all these timings, you would have to have them all displayed at once, which would be confusing (which timing is for which purpose?).

In earlier versions of LOR 2, you could do this by having separate tracks, but this also could be a bit confusing.

Now, you can just create three separate timing grids, and select which one is displayed at any given moment via a dropdown box.

There are two types of timing grids: "Freeform" and "fixed".

Fixed timing grids have equally spaced timings (for example, every five hundredths of a second). These timings cannot be moved, deleted, or added to (but note that you can always create a different timing grid if you want different spacing).

Freeform timing grids can have timings anywhere at all. You can add new timings, delete existing timings, or move timings around.

The Tapper Wizard tries to insert timings. So, it can't use a fixed grid.

If you want to use the Tapper Wizard on a brand new sequence, select "Tapper Wizard" from the "Initial Timing" section of the New Musical Sequence dialog. This will automatically create an empty freeform timing grid for the Tapper Wizard to use.

If you want to use the Tapper Wizard on an existing sequence, before opening the Tapper Wizard, use the timing grid dropdown (on the toolbar) to select a freeform timing grid for it to use, or else use the "Timings" button next to it to create a new freeform timing grid.

Uh. Now I'm really concerned. Since day one we have always used a fixed grid. We like it that way. No dividing this, adding that, etc.

However we use the tap wizard to mark the parts of the song. We always used the "make a particular channel briefly turn on" radio option. Now we can't use that on a fixed grid? Why? I'm not asking it to add "timings" to the fixed grid, just "briefly turn on, then turn off when a tap occurs"... I don't see why that isn't allowed anymore.

Please advise.

J.

Jeremy Wiles wrote:

Uh. Now I'm really concerned. Since day one we have always used a fixed grid. We like it that way. No dividing this, adding that, etc.

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. I used .05 fixed timings my first year with LOR 1, but when the Beat Wizard and multiple timings came out, it made sequencing a lot easier and faster.

I'm not asking it to add "timings" to the fixed grid, just "briefly turn on, then turn off when a tap occurs"... I don't see why that isn't allowed anymore.

You have a good point. As long as Snap to existing events is set to half of the fixed timing, and How long should each flash be? is set to a multiple of the fixed timing, I don't see why it shouldn't just work.

Steven wrote:

Jeremy Wiles wrote:

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.  I used .05 fixed timings my first year with LOR 1, but when the Beat Wizard and multiple timings came out, it made sequencing a lot easier and faster.

We tried tracks last year. It's not easier for the way we sequence. We don't use the beat wizard, as we don't flash to the beat.

I get that tracks and timings will work for some, however to keep this from spinning off into a "why tracks are better than fixed .02 timings..." I'd like to keep it on point.

Why would this have been removed?

Uh. Now I'm really concerned. Since day one we have always used a fixed grid.

Well, no, you used a freeform grid that had equally spaced timings. You can still do that if you want - for example, if you have a fixed grid for 0.05 seconds, and you want a freeform grid for 0.05 seconds, click on the "Timings" button (on the toolbar), and select "Duplicate to New Freeform Grid".

So it looks like I have to create a fixed grid at .02 first, then "Duplicate to a new freeform grid" and THEN run the tapper wizard.

At least I have a workaround.

So my only issue is this...
Its a bit confusing and may be problematic if someone forgets to do the above, taps out the song, then gets the error message... "Cannot add timings to a fixed timing grid". To which I look at the computer and say "I didn't ASK you to add timings!! I asked you to briefly turn on and off a channel and snap to an existing timing!!!" but alas, my tapping is gone, and I have to do it all over again.

(FYI-I regularly yell at my computer like that...)

J.

Now we can't use that on a fixed grid? Why? I'm not asking it to add "timings" to the fixed grid, just "briefly turn on, then turn off when a tap occurs"... I don't see why that isn't allowed anymore.

I believe this was an oversight when we added the concept of timing grids. I updated the Beat Wizard and VU Wizard so that they'd be able to work with both types (at least, in certain ways), but I neglected to update the Tapper Wizard.

We will get it updated for a future release. But in the meantime, "duplicate to new freeform grid" (as I mentioned in my last post) will, I believe, get your sequence the way you want it.

bob wrote:

Now we can't use that on a fixed grid? Why? I'm not asking it to add "timings" to the fixed grid, just "briefly turn on, then turn off when a tap occurs"... I don't see why that isn't allowed anymore.

I believe this was an oversight when we added the concept of timing grids.  I updated the Beat Wizard and VU Wizard so that they'd be able to work with both types (at least, in certain ways), but I neglected to update the Tapper Wizard.

We will get it updated for a future release.  But in the meantime, "duplicate to new freeform grid" (as I mentioned in my last post) will, I believe, get your sequence the way you want it.

Works for me. Thanks for the explanation.

J.

• 2 weeks later...

Bob, you are just cool. Well said response.

Have you thought about a career in hostage negotiations? :D

I have another tap wizard question. Why cain't I choose any channel other than channel 1 in the wizard? I would like to use the wizard to set up channels for specific areas in the music sequence.

Thanks in advance