Light-O-Rama Forums

Halloween 2009 DMX Teaser

michael.farney

I am excited for Halloween this year. I hooked up half my DMX equipment to do some test runs, and I am quite pleased with the results. Here's a two minute teaser video of some display highlights. There are 4 more moving yolks that didn't make it outside, so it should be a very fun season! I can't wait to see how it turns out with the Halloween display included.

http://vimeo.com/5419935

Michael since we are not able to focus on other,.. ahem, "projects" due to circumstances beyond our control, you have been very busy! All that looks great so far. I can't wait to see the rest!

zman wrote:

Michael since we are not able to focus on other,.. ahem, "projects" due to circumstances beyond our control, you have been very busy! All that looks great so far. I can't wait to see the rest!

I know. That just means our project next year will be even better!

Oh, and I left out the actual piece name. The sequence is Disney's Fantasmic. It's about a 15 minute cutting from the mid 90's version of the Disneyland show.

What did you use pointing straight up in the air? Are those just MR 16 Spots with the fog rolling over them???
They Look great!

-Evan

NWSanta wrote:

What did you use pointing straight up in the air? Are those just MR 16 Spots with the fog rolling over them???
They Look great!

-Evan

Most of the light sources are moving yolks. Here's the equipment list:

6 chauvet minWash (house color wash) [Moving Head Fixture]
Q-spot 575 (big projections and spotlight on the house) [Moving Head Fixture]
Q-spot 150 (smaller projections and spotlight on the house) [Moving Head Fixture]
3 Martin Mania DC-2s (Fire Projections)
Martin Atomic 3000 DMX strobe
2 Chauvet 1700 watt foggers
1 Chauvet 1250 watt fogger

The actual units you see in the video are 2 min washes in the rear, the qspot 575 is front left, the qspot 150 is front right, one Martin unit doing the fire projection on the window, two chauvet foggers, and one atomic strobe.

Edit: I can not spel wel.

michael.farney wrote:

I can't wait to see how it turns out with the Halloween display included.

G'day Michael, that looks great.

I really like the gobos that you are using. Did you make them yourself?

Cheers,

davidt, Australia

Michael,

You really have it going on in this video. If you can weatherproof them and keep the kids from messing with the fixtures, you might have something.

Charles

Charles Belcher wrote:

Michael,

You really have it going on in this video. If you can weatherproof them and keep the kids from messing with the fixtures, you might have something.

Charles

Well you nailed just about all my concerns. I have a friend helping with the enclosures mid July. We're going to do our best to come up with something lockable.

Davidt wrote:

michael.farney wrote:
I can't wait to see how it turns out with the Halloween display included.

G'day Michael, that looks great.

I really like the gobos that you are using. Did you make them yourself?

Cheers,

davidt, Australia

All the gobos are Apollo patterns. http://internetapollo.com/Products/Group/Halloween.aspx

Let me know if you want pattern numbers.

hi MIcheal, looks awesome. I'm still new to the in and outs of LOR. Again, Thanks to all you wonderful folks, my Halloween and Christmas shows were a sucess.

Just curious, if I jsut wanted to have a momentary effect of flood lights illuminating part of the house; does it have to be DMX?

I jsut envisioned during some of my songs, having things go dark except maybe the floods shining on the wall sequenced with the music.

Do you need any kind of special bulbs, sockets etc. Thank for any info.

I have some great ideas for both Christmas and Halloween; just don't have a clue right now how to implement them.:?

Best,

David

Dave,

Floods do not have to be DMX. They can be banks of regular incandecants. The advantage of DMX is that first it is more power friendly than regular floods. Second, you only need one to get any of 16 million colors. In reality, all the major ones you would need. You can fade both.

Hi Mark. Thanks for the info. Not trying to get to fancy...yet. just a quick accent type thing. So, I think the regular floods would work for my purpose...save a little cash right now.

Best,

David

David Barnett wrote:

hi MIcheal, looks awesome. I'm still new to the in and outs of LOR. Again, Thanks to all you wonderful folks, my Halloween and Christmas shows were a sucess.

Just curious, if I jsut wanted to have a momentary effect of flood lights illuminating part of the house; does it have to be DMX?

I jsut envisioned during some of my songs, having things go dark except maybe the floods shining on the wall sequenced with the music.

Do you need any kind of special bulbs, sockets etc. Thank for any info.

I have some great ideas for both Christmas and Halloween; just don't have a clue right now how to implement them.:?

Best,

David

I would recommend getting plain old flood lights to wash your house. DMX has its advantages, but it's very costly and is harder to program. I would start with some colored flood lights and you can upgrade to DMX at a later date if it interests you.

I'd look at par38 bulbs and flood holders.

michael.farney wrote:

I would recommend getting plain old flood lights to wash your house.
I'd look at par38 bulbs and flood holders.

Mark, I'd support this as well and is what I used for a couple of years.

If you have sufficient 3 LOR channels that you could dedicate to each location where you plan on putting a spotlight you could always use a combination of red, green and blue floods and if they are all pointing to the same spot then you could mix and match the colours to make other colours.

Cheers,

davidt, Australia

• 6 months later...

zman wrote:

Michael,

That is outstanding! So which laser system did you use? That was really cool.

It's Pangolin. I bought it from Brad. He's selling more boards if you are interested.