Light-O-Rama Forums

Songs

shfr26

After many hours on the computer I dont want to jinks myself, but I think I might be getting this LOR thing. I have 32 channels and think I may have the seq. thing almost figured out, for the first three seconds of the music. only kidding, I dont have that much figured out yet. I've only been on the computer for about sixty hours or so. When I get my eyes to uncrossed ,any ideas for a fairly easy, not to long song, that I can start with?

Thanks.

Pete

Pete,

I'm brand new to synchonizing, so I'm probably the worst person to reply to this thread. I tried starting out w/ Christmas Canon, TSO.....I found it tough, then I tried Wizards in Winter, TSO.....way too fast. I then tried Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee and found it much easier than the other two. It's about 2 minutes long, a strong steady beat, not too fast and not too slow. I'm about 95% done with it. If you like that song, give it a try.

Good luck!

Joe

Thanks, Dumb me I heard Jingle Bells remix techno and tried doing that. If I'm lucky I'll be done by 2022. I try your song.

Pete

Some easy ones are also some of the oldies but goodies with some repetition during the length, plus they aren't too long to start with:

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

Frosty the Snowman

Holly Jolly Christmas

The TOS stuff for the most is ultra fast with lots of flash but some do have quite a bit of repetition once you get it down. A lot of it comes down to your sequencing style in the end. Some use different fixtures for different instruments that come in to play, drums, piano, horns etc, then throw in the voices which make for a lot of changes and flash. Others are more subtle and will use longer fade ups through a line in a song or portion of one and then change at the break or next line and do the same thing. Much mellower on the eyes and both have a place in this hobby. I blend both. Some have lots of flash, some mellow and some I'll mix it up. The neat part is if you have any leaping arches or a mega tree you can do so much variation just in the speed of the chases. It's easy to keep things mixed up and fun to watch.

Lenny

No song suggestions but sequencing tips:

1) Edit you songs down. Shorter is easier.
2) Use the 1/2 speed playback option.
3) Use headphones.
4) Use other peoples work if for nothing else then the timing marks.

There are a ton of useful suggestions on the board, just start digging around.

shfr26 & Buckeyelights - Welcome to the LOR forums, the folks here will help you figure it all out. I jumped in with both feet last December, if you haven't already done so - watch all of the tutorials, and read the wiki. Believe me it will save you time!

When iresq told you to edit the song down - a lot of us use Audacity for audio editing: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I target getting a song down to about 2 minutes, I also use Audacity to convert the song I'm going to use for sequencing into a .wav file. In the past (may have been fixed in 2.3.6) .mp3 songs would sometimes get out of synch with the sequencing - play a section of the song - sequence - play it back timing would be different.

Play with all of the Wizards to find out what you feel comfortable with, after sequencing a song go back and do the wizards again - do you see if one of them will make the sequencing start faster?

I started to use tracks and the wizards after my 2nd song, Track 1 is .05 sec timing, Track 2 is the Beat Wizard (you need to watch the tutorial to use it correctly) in all songs the beat changes during the song. Track 3 I use the VU Wizard. I wind up the first steps of starting the sequence by using the Tapper Wizard for Track 4. At this point I may use the VU and Tapper Wizards to lay down a few additional tracks. Then the work begins...

One of the totally cool things is that the music you choose for your display is up to you, the 8th song I am finishng up for 2009 is Saving Grace by Whitey Ford. My goal is another 12 songs, the challenge.

Most importantly - have fun doing it!

Steve

I think the first song I ever sequenced was the Coke song from the Christmas commercials. It was fairly short, less than 2 minutes.

Another good song is Hark the Hareld Angels Sing by Nat King Cole, I think that was my 2nd ever sequence.

Good Luck.