Light-O-Rama Forums

Input trigger causes Show to freeze up!

daniel

I know, I seem to be having all kinds of problems lately lol.

How are the inputs supposed to work? I have a ctb16D loaded up with the latest firmware and software that is out.

The input checks out in the hardware utility. I am just using input one to test this ability right now.

However, while triggering the switch, the hardware utility sometimes looses communication with the controller. It usually comes back in a few seconds.

If nothing is talking to the controller, and the LED is just blinking. If I push the trigger button, the LED freezes. When I let go of the button, the LED continues to blink.

I have a show setup. 5 sequences in soundboard mode. Basically a loop that keeps the sequence active forever. The goal is to have different scenes set. For testing purposes the sequences are about 5 seconds long and for 3 seconds, 1 channel is on and for that 3 seconds, a loop is set for 9000 times going slower at -1% (I think it said it would last longer than time iteslf or something)

All the sequences have 16 channels. Only one channel is used. All sequences test out in the editor fine.(Note- I did not wait till the end of time to see if it ran all the way through)

The show has an animation. The 100% sequence starts fine. Then in the interactive section, I have a 20%, 50%, 70% and 100% sequences set on soundboard, trigger 1, or controller 1 (thats all correct). When I trigger it, the default 100% on sequence stops, and nothing happens. The controller show it lost communication with the computer, the LED is blinking, and LOR control panel is frozen. It takes a few ctr-alt-dels to get it to close out.

Computer is a 450mhz, 192mb ram, 98se. It has run LOR fine. Other than the activex needing to upgrade to ie6 to save sequences, I have had no problems.

So I guess I am asking first off all, is the controller working properly as to the LED stopping and connectivity in the hardware utility?
And second, is that computer under-speced for intupt useability?

Thanks!

--Daniel L

Hi,

No the LED should not stop blinking. What type of controller do you have and how do you have the trigger wired to it?

Thanks

Dan

Its a CTB-16D Blue board.

The switch is an old computer power case switch. The connector fit perfectly on the controllers ground, and input 1 pins.

Update. I reset the controller and the LED stopping problem went away.

It managed to get started a bit. The show enabled and the default 100% sequence started. I triggered it and the 20% on sequence started, but while it was playing, at seemingly random times, the light spiked to 100%. (light fixture is 3 60w bulbs) Then the LOR tray crashed.

On a second attempt, it seemed to cycle through everything ok. But the try crashed.

As, or right before the tray crashes, the controller looses computer contact.

I have also noticed that the LED does not seems to blink at a steady rate. It is a very slight flux in the rate, like every so often the light will be on an on/off cycle a tad longer. I cant video tape this, it is ever so slight that no camera around here has a high enough frame rate to capture it.
BUT I also noticed this on my ctb-16PC(kit). So I am guessing my power here is not clean, or the wave form(sine?) is not correct. And from what I have read here and on PC, that would cause the low intensities to do something like the 20% and spiking to 100% thing.
Only thing is that the spikes do not occur while in the hardware utility.
I am not sure about the LEDs rate, but if both controllers are doing it, then it probably is not a hardware error. I just have not noticed it before.

And the tray just keeps wanting to crash. Later tonight I am going to delete the schedule files and then enable shows to see what happens.

With crash, I mean that the panel just does not respond anymore. And the status window will not load. on ctr-alt-del, it appears it is still working sometimes, but I have seen the (not-responding) text next to the tray. But not he monitor.

I also edited the test sequences and took out all the loops.

--Daniel L

Do you use a USB port or a Serial port to connect to the controllers?

If this is USB do you use a filtered cable?

Is this a momentary switch?

Is this version 2.3.4 or higher software?

Thanks Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

Do you use a USB port or a Serial port to connect to the controllers?

If this is USB do you use a filtered cable?

Is this a momentary switch?

Is this version 2.3.4 or higher software?

Thanks Dan

Serial adapter

The switch is a momentary, non-latching normally open.

Software 2.3.6 Advanced

Thanks for the help!

--Daniel L