Light-O-Rama Forums

Possibly a bad installer?

daniel

This problem was not just Light-O-Rama. Zara Radio was affected as well.

Zara radio has been working perfectly up to this event.

My steps..

1. Download the latest installer (as of last night).
2. Zara Radio is open with a saved playlist playing. (If it matters, the program was originally opened by clicking the playlist, and not opening the program by itself)
3. Started LOR S2 installer.
4. In initial checks, it asked that C:/path/to/playlist.lst be closed. I though that LOR had no business messing with my playlist file, so I said skip this.
5. Installed ok, asked to be restarted, so I said ok, and it all shut down ok.
6. Upon coming back up, a couple new errors came up. Basically Zara Radio was not starting and saying C:/path/to/playlist.lst was an invalid resource. A second error came up saying the MSIMG32.dll pointing to GDI32.dll had an issue.
7. I thought LOR had the issue, and seeing that original close-this error in the installer, I re-ran the installation with Zara radio closed.

Long story short, I found out that it was Zara Radio that had the issue and not LOR, and after remembering this kind of error from another program a while back, I simply opened SFC and pulled MSIMG32.dll off of the windows CD. Everything started working ok after that.

Now, here is what I think happened. the LOR installer is updating MSIMG32.dll, and that screwed Zara Radio up.

Im assuming Zara Radio is not the only program that could have been effected. If this is only a 98se issue, Im guessing the installer should not touch that file? Or post something on the last page of the installer program that says how to fix this if it happens to you. For me it was an easy fix, but this could easily freak someone out that does not know Windows very well.

That computer is a 98se.

--Daniel L

I believe the standard procedure for installing any new Windows program is to have ALL programs shutdown before installing the new software. It is also suggested by some vendors that your Anti-Virus scanner be shut down during the install as well.

If another program is running and the new install is trying to update a file in use by the running program, the file my be locked and the install won't be able to update that file sometimes causing problems after the install.

Just a thought...

Well thats all true. But, the thing is. Why would the installer ask to close a playlist file and not the actual application?

Locked or not locked, the installer should not have touched that file, or updated it.

--Daniel L

Daniel,

You said you had the playlist open. How did you have the play list open? In your latest message you made it sound that you did not have ZARA open.

Just trying to understand this as I use zara also.

Chuck

Oops, sorry about that.

I had the playlist open inside of Zara Radio. But in the installer dialog, it only said the path to the playlist, not Zara Radio. Thats what I though was strange.

--Daniel L

I just checked my show computer. I updated it the other day with the new version 2.3.4 at the time. I just luanched zara and all worked fine. As I see the only difference is that I did not have zara open when I installed the newest version of LOR.

Since you site the .dll files. It is possible that the 2 programs share these dll and that cause the issues. Only a guess.

As I see it. It is always best to close all programs before installing new packages.

Chuck

• 3 months later...

Daniel,

I see this thread is a couple months old, yet when I posted a reply on my own board tonight about potential installation problems, I also noticed this posting.

I cut and pasted my response because that particular category is members only. In the post below, I am addressing issues that I found with Zara not running well on Vista. Even though Vista was probably not your issue, I'm just making a point here that software installations are more complex than programmers think they are, and often experienced programmers make terrible installation mistakes.

While it is indeed good practice to close applications when installing, I'll also say that a good installation design won't care. If a file is locked or in use at the time, there are simple ways for the installer to replace those files during a restart of Windows. Now, here are some other mistakes I see Zara making that give me cold chills.

--------------------------------------

Don,

I came back to post additional information about this crash of Zara on Vista. It was the nature of the error that caught my interest.

My conclusion is that although you may have Zara running ok on Vista at the moment, I am starting to doubt that it will be trouble-free in the future.

I ran "Dependency Walker" (a programming tool) on it to see what other file dependencies it is importing as it operates. Also I looked at their Windows registry use. I'm convinced that the programmers who wrote Zara seem to know very little about proper program installation.

Sure, Zara has nice feautres and a decent interface, but the knowlege stops there. Some fairly amateur mistakes are being made in the program installation and use of dependency files. Here's once example. Their program calls and uses two files named "ieshims.dll" and "ieframe.dll", yet they don't distribute these files in their installation.

ieshims.dll isn't even on my computer and may be one of the reasons why it crashes. Zara also is not properly "trapping" errors, hence the reason for the cryptic Windows error message.

It doesn't even make sense to me as to why they are using ieframe.dll, but it can't be assumed that this file will already be on a user's computer. It likely is already there, but Zara seems to want a particular version of that file. If someone has a different version due to a Windows update, then Zara will probably cease to operate. This dll is not a Microsoft system dll, but it is a "signed" dll by Microsoft, so it is legitimate. It gets heavy use from MSIE 7.0. One thing I speculate is that if you upgrade to a newer version of MSIE, Zara might stop working.

Bottom line, keep a close eye on the operation of Zara as you update Windows or install other software.

thread http://magiclightshow.com/bb/index.php?topic=107.msg288;topicseen#msg288