Light-O-Rama Forums

Where to get MIDI files

ItsMeBobO

Are there any MIDI wizard users? This wizards has the feature I want to isolate instruments and notes.

Has anyone used this wizard to build a sequence and then replaced the .mid with .mp3 ?

Google found a lot of free and cheesy .mid files and others which sounded much better were $10 each!

Just downloaded a couple of MIDI files and tried the MIDI Wizard using 2.3.4.

I see some great possibilities using MIDI. Just like you we need to find good MIDI Files.

You can use Tracks. First select the track then start the MIDI Wizard, it will show you all the channels in that track. When finished with that track exit the wizard and select another track and restart the wizard.

Is there a way of converting a MIDI file to MP3 after using the wizard? I used a Mini director, only allows MP3's. How about MP3 to MIDI?

Will Audacity do this?

I am note sure if audacity reads midi. If not, you could simply play the midi file over your pc and use your sound card to capture the speaker output as an mp3 file.

There are converters that will convert mp3 to midi (this was done for early ring tones on cell phones). The problem is the midi stream won't be broken down by instrument. Rather, you will get a very flat and thin audio file.

I can import & export MIDI using Audicity, but cannot play the audio.

It looks like a piano keyboard.

Anybody have a suggestion.

Cannot seem to export MIDI to MP3.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Are there any MIDI wizard users? This wizards has the feature I want to isolate instruments and notes.

Has anyone used this wizard to build a sequence and then replaced the .mid with .mp3 ?

Google found a lot of free and cheesy .mid files and others which sounded much better were $10 each!

Yes the midi is a great feature. I have been working with both midi and mp3 files the accuracy is great. If you can not get a midi file you can get a program like "amazing midi" which is free and it will convert audio files to midi. It is not perfect but you can then edit the midi file and clean it up with a midi editor and use midi wizard for the timing and also control the channels you choose. I am hoping they extend the midi format a little more like having a midi tapper,that way you would be able to take a midi keyboard and assign a channel to each key and all you would have to do is play the keyboard to control the lights and if you have a touch sensitive keyboard the brightness of light would depend on how hard you hit a key! "That is in my wish list"

If anyone needs a midi to MP3, I can do that very easily and quickly.

Just email the midi to daniel@christmasadventure.net .

I can not convert mp3 back to midi.

--Daniel L

• 4 months later...

daniel wrote:

If anyone needs a midi to MP3, I can do that very easily and quickly.
Just email the midi to daniel@christmasadventure.net .
I can not convert mp3 back to midi.
--Daniel L

Daniel, if the offer still stands, I will email two files midi files to convert. I have the Disney - Electrical Light Parade midi that I have been sequencing and not I want to convert it to wav or mp3 so I can edit out some parts of the 4 1/2 minute song. I'll be glad to give you the sequence when I am done in a few weeks.

I searched and found this thread because I was trying to convert a midi file to mp3 last night. There are lots of "teaser" programs out there that claim to be free, but all they really mean is that it is a free download of the "TRIAL" which will only convert the first minute. I guess they are thinking that if they told us the truth about it being a trial, then no one would download one. For $30 they are asking, I don't do enough conversion to buy a program.

To keep the quality high, I'd rather not play it on the computer and record it again.
I am curious what you are using to convert midi to mp3?

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would come back in to post an update on something I ran across that converts Midi files to WAV or MP3.

First of all, much thanks to Daniel for being very responsive and helpful in converting 2 midi files for me. But as he mentioned, conversions depend on the type of sound card you have in a computer unless the conversion software uses sound files for conversion. Daniel's conversion on a Mac was pretty good, yet I ran across some software that did an almost perfect rendition of the Disney Electrical Parade that I wanted to convert. It was the "Midi Converter Studio" on ManiacTools.com. If I were doing lots of this stuff, I would pay the $30 to buy that software. Of the 5 programs I tried, I liked it the best. The trial version on converts the first 60 seconds but that is enough to determine how well it would work.

However, the conversion that I ended up using was a free online conversion tool at http://www.hamienet.com/midi2mp3 The catch is that during the 1-2 minutes conversion, they bombard you with popups and ads. There were 5 choices of instrument sounds. I tried all 5 of them and 2 were really good. I will use one of the conversions for my show song.

So if someone wants a quick conversion of a midi file that has a choice of instrument files, and isn't determined by your sound card, then check out the above site. There are probably other equally good sites.

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Just thought I would come back in to post an update on something I ran across that converts Midi files to WAV or MP3.

First of all, much thanks to Daniel for being very responsive and helpful in converting 2 midi files for me. But as he mentioned, conversions depend on the type of sound card you have in a computer unless the conversion software uses sound files for conversion. Daniel's conversion on a Mac was pretty good, yet I ran across some software that did an almost perfect rendition of the Disney Electrical Parade that I wanted to convert. It was the "Midi Converter Studio" on ManiacTools.com. If I were doing lots of this stuff, I would pay the $30 to buy that software. Of the 5 programs I tried, I liked it the best. The trial version on converts the first 60 seconds but that is enough to determine how well it would work.

However, the conversion that I ended up using was a free online conversion tool at http://www.hamienet.com/midi2mp3 The catch is that during the 1-2 minutes conversion, they bombard you with popups and ads. There were 5 choices of instrument sounds. I tried all 5 of them and 2 were really good. I will use one of the conversions for my show song.

So if someone wants a quick conversion of a midi file that has a choice of instrument files, and isn't determined by your sound card, then check out the above site. There are probably other equally good sites.

What 2 conversions did you like?

Dennis Cherry wrote:

What 2 conversions did you like?

I don't remember which ones because I had two songs to convert. The best sounding result was different for the two songs. That is likely because of different instruments being assigned in the songs. Thus, I think you need to experiment with a song to see which one of the 5 options you like.