Light-O-Rama Forums

Putting Them Up and Taking Them Down

Curtis

First of all, There is a reason I’m in the newbie’s forum.

Having all this warm weather time to think about the lights in December occasionally brings me to the thought mode of how much work this is going to be. As usual labor saving is a concept that must be applied to any project (even if it doesn’t work out that way).

Oh well, Here’s the idea. This summer I have to paint the house and I’m thinking about installing stainless hooks strategically and using a long pvc pole with an attachment at the end to place and remove lights without a ladder this winter. I’m wondering if any one has gone this route. Maybe even guide wires with the light strings zip tied for tension and straighter lines?

I don’t want to light the ridge, But maybe the peak, gable ends and gutter lines. Using a pole with an attachment on the end might be a good way to string a maga tree as well.

Curtis

Last year I ran LED strings along the ridges and gable ends that are visible from the street. I fastened them to the roof with hot glue(!) Unless you look carefully, you can't see them (unless they're lit!)

Of course, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where it never snows and only rains during winter. You didn't say where you are located.

I also have a single-story house, so I don't need to worry about a tall ladder.

a couple of years ago we added cup hooks to the inside of my neighbors eaves. we use a telescoping painters pole with a light hanging attachnent. the lights and power all go up at one time as they were hodded into one the first year

Here is what I'm planning on doing. I'm going to install eye hooks on the eaves of the house large enough for pvc pipe or conduit. Not sure on the size yet 1/2 or 3/4 inch, may have to support the middle with a hook. My lights and icicles will be zip tie to the pipe with enough electric leads to run to the controllers. So all you would have to do is hang the pipe in the hooks and plug her in and you are ready to go. On a long run there will be a connection in between the other pipe . Hope this will be easy so all you have to do after Christmas is remove and hang the lights in the garage for the summer and they will be ready for next year after testing.

Doing pretty good so far for a new guy.

Next idea is to put a pulley on a hook at the peak and use it to pull up strings of lights for a mega pole effect. Tangling the lights on the set up or take down is the only con I can come up with. This should give me 26' +- of height and a pretty good contrast from the roof line lights.

It's going to have to be a good sized hook that will get past the trim and into the rafter.

I did the same thing a couple seasons ago, before LOR. I used 10 ft lengths of 3/4 in schedule 40 PVC pipe. I had to put hooks into every other rafter to keep the PVC pipe from sagging. Again it will depend on the number of lights you place on the pipe. I used a hook with a deep throat so I didn't have to worry about the wind popping the pipe out of the hooks, Also be sure to screw the hooks perpendicular to the rafter and not the ground. If you make the screws perpendicular to the ground the effect on the sloping rafter is to open the bite of the hook making it easier for the pipe to pop out.