Light-O-Rama Forums

Virtual Santa

Linda

Does anyone have one of those virtual Santa's? I was reading about it and it says you need a 9" to 14" tv to run it from. I don't have one that size and was wondering if a computer monitor or laptop would work to play the dvd from. I know this isn't a LOR question, but I'd like to have one for my display and need to know more about it before I order one. I've seen it in some of the Christmas display videos and think it's such a cool idea.

Linda,

I bought one three years ago and still have it. It worked with my 13" TV with a built in DVD player but it will also work with a computer monitor.

It comes with a lens set that attaches to the front of the TV or monitor. The Virtual Santa package ships with a few small strips of velcro which you must attach to the sides of the TV or monitor. The lens set is very lightweight and the velcro holds it fine.

The brighter the light source (either the TV or the monitor), the better your audience will see the video clip.

It is a very cool effect.

Charles

Thank you. I thought you should be able to use a monitor. I'll have to put one of those virtual Santa's on my wish list. I think they're really cool. My grand children would love it. By the way, I've been watching some of your videos and they are spectacular!

Linda,

You can find inexpensive projectors as well to display this. I do just that. Have it in my home office, projected onto a rear screen that sits in the window. One if the best things I added to the display 4-5 years ago and still is a hit with the kids. I am even able to broadcast the sounds outside so that the visitors can hear him when they walk up my driveway toward the front door.

Doing it this way allows me to project it a bit larger so it can be seen better, but still does not lose the effect.

I know nothing at all about projectors. What should I look for in a projector and what kind do you use?

Linda,

Lumens is what it is all about. The higher the count, the more costly. However for this application that is not really required. Do a Google search for VGA Projectors. Ebay has a lot of them, you can even make your own. I have a site with direction I can get for you if interested.

I have Virtual Santa... Just the DVD. I purchased this projector on ebay.... http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6015380

It is ok for this purpose... It comes with a 30w bulb.... This year I will change it to a 50w... I went to a drafting supply company and purchased a mylar sheet to cover the lower half of my window to act as my rear projection screen...

The kids love it....

Thank you. Yes, I'd like to see your information on how to make my own. I saw an lcd projector advertised on Craig's list today for $90.00 that I'm going to look at too. They have the lcd, slide, and a film projector advertised. I doubt the slide projector would work but would the film projector work for this?

Linda wrote:

Thank you. Yes, I'd like to see your information on how to make my own. I saw an lcd projector advertised on Craig's list today for $90.00 that I'm going to look at too. They have the lcd, slide, and a film projector advertised. I doubt the slide projector would work but would the film projector work for this?

you do not want a film projector...

Thanks. I'll probably be looking for one like this one. I can get the virtual Santa with the projector for 159.00, but I'm sure the projector isn't any better than this one. If I thought I'd be using the projector for other things I might consider a better quality one but I've been doing a little research and the bulbs alone are outragiously high. A bulb costs more than what I want to spend on a projector.........:? I could have another 16 channel controller box for what I'd spend on a bulb! :}

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just got a pretty good deal on that torpedo projector on ebay. This one has everything with it but was wondering what a new bulb might cost when this one goes out. Have you bought your 50 watt bulb yet?

Thanks so much. I'm sending a link to the mylar film I'm thinking about getting. It's the "17 x 22 .004 Double Matte Mylar Drafting Film". My window is 34X42 and at about 18" is where you raise the window. I was wondering if two of the 17X22 pieces would work and I just attach it to each section of the window with tape or something, or should I get the 30X42 mylar? It doesn't seem like it would matter but I don't want to get the wrong thing.

http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop-Mylar-Sheets_6935_6934.html

Linda

I purchased 2 sheets for the upper and lower halfs of the window... Well when I projected the image on the window Santa was too large... I then only projected the image on the lower half of the window. The Santa is life size... And looks real... It was my biggest hit last year.

I would purchase 2 sheets so to have a spare down the road... The mylar should be a frosty color for the rear projection to work. The link you posted looks correct. I went down to the local drafting supply company and purchased mine.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't figure out how to keep the DVD from playing the upside down Santa version. Even when I choose the normal Santa version it plays the upside down version after the normal Santa version finishes.

Linda,

Yeah I ran into that on the newer version of the DVD too. On your DVD player, you most likely have a chapter repeat, select that option and the video loops.

• 4 months later...

I am curious about what DVD are you using for the projector image. Is there any short clips that are down-loadable of Santa looking out of a window?

I have a projector and I think that the Santa in the window would be a great addition to my display. Any DVD titles or video clips sources would be great to know about.