Light-O-Rama Forums

Strobes

TGabriel

I'm thinking about buying strobes and want to know what you prefer C7 or C9 or the LED color strobes? These will be used in various way (mega trees, roof)

Thomas

Thomas, I use a lot of Darryl Brown's strobes from Christmas Light Show - http://www.christmaslightshow.com

These are C9 bases, and an outstanding product. Should you decide to use these, I have a decent How - To on how to get the most out of these strobes on my website.

I use these in my Mega, in my yard, on my roof and will continue to expand the usage over time in different areas.

Mark

Thomas - I've also used Darryl's strobes and they are bright. The ones that work, I like a lot. I'm disappointed with the failure rate and with the DOA rate, at least with last year's crop. This year, I ordered LED strobes just received them. Viewed straight on they're quite bright, but off angle they're not as bright as Darryl's xenon models. Out of 80 LED strobes, there were no DOA's. That fact alone tips the scales in my opinion. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my c9 vampire plugs for my LED strobes so I can try them out. $8 for 100 from action lighting. I got 30 LED strobes from CDI and all work. At first I got really worried because 28 out of 30 didn't work at first. I noticed that the two that did work had bigger tips that would touch in the bottom of the socket. I added a little bit of solder to the tips and the rest started working. Anyone have any issues with this. Is it the holders from action lighting or the LED strobes? It could be also me just being stupid and not knowing how to install these. I would agree with George the LED straight on are really bright but from the side it not even close. Need to make sure they are secure and facing the viewing area. If CDI has another sale I will buy 30 more.

Friskybri,

It has been well noted either here or on P.C. that some strobes or some sockets do not make a good connection with the tip contact. So many will just bend up the lower contact. But I have also read that some have taken the socket to the disk or belt sander and take off a bit of the top of the socket. I have to admitt, you are the first that I have heard that added solder to the tip. To much chance of melting something or that the wire comming through the tip to slip back inside. I dont remember how much the LED strobes cost. I have the xeon bulb type and I would rather mess up a single socket before one of my strobes.

Max

friskybri wrote:

Anyone have any issues with this. Is it the holders from action lighting or the LED strobes?

I suspect it is the sockets. I got 70 of those strobes and I installed them in 8 different C9 strings (probably four or five different brands dating back a dozen or more years) and not a single problem or failure.

Now feel like a newb. Oh that's right i am. lol Thanks guys, I took the socket and pulled the tab at the bottom up a little and it worked much easier than putting solder on the bottom. Just got to remember that when I put them out for the display. That's why I am playing with everything during the summer so I don't run into the first year opps during show season.

Hi,

The Strobes that are supplied by Darryl Brown, does anybody know what wattage one strobe light is.

I live in Australia, need to get a step down transformer 240v to 110v AC. There are different ratings ie 10va, 250va, 500 va.

The price is the question in the end, as I would like to have at least 3 Channels dedicated, which depends on the size of step down.

Any help appreciatted.

Deblen

Instead of using a step-down transformer, why not try wiring two banks of the strobes in series?

I'd be a little leary of running the strobes in series, as they are not a simple resistive load. In fact, their current draw varies in time relative to the last flash.

For load calc, figure a fraction of a watt each. You can probably run at least 20 on a 10VA transformer with lots of reserve margin.

I'd have more exact numbers, but I'm at the point where I don't expect to ever have more than 10 on a channel, and it is small enough to be lost in the rest of my calcs.