Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting AC Cables

jim6918

At the risk of being flamed, which I have the tendency to get, I have to ask this possibly stupid question. I bought CTB16PC controllers that came with 2 AC cables. I plan on using the 15 amp single power feed option due to load considerations, so only need one AC cable.

Question: the User Manual indicates the need for neutral and hot jumpers in the single feed option, but only if "You did not purchase the power cord from Light-O-Rama." Since I did purchase the power cord with the controller, do I still have the need to jumper if I am going with the 15 amp option?

The photos in the user manual do show jumpers with the single power feed option. The remaining photos all depict the dual power feed option or 2 AC cables thru the strain relief bracket.

Recognizing that the board is divided into two different sides, will connecting a single AC cable to the hot and neutral terminals provide power to both sides, absent the jumpers?

I sure don't want to start out with power problems.

You need to supply power to both power inlets, and both neutrals. The two most common ways are to use both power inlet cords, or to use the jumper cords to power the left half from the right half of the controller.

At the risk of seeming to make you sound bad. If you use the jumpers, you MUST remove the input cord from the un-used input side. DO NOT USE the JUMPERS and the BOTH input cords.

Never can err on the side of caution.

I do not use the PC board, but all of my 10 controllers are set up for single input cords.

Chuck

My feelings exactly Chuck. I am taking this whole thing step by carefully thought out step. At $200 a pop for controllers, a simple electrical issue could really add up. Since I don't plan on exceeding 15 amps per controller, I think I am going to go with the single power suppy and the jumpers, unless somebody else weighs in here.

BTW, what I have done is upgrade house service from 100 amp to 200 amp and am moving the old 100 amp load center to near where the controllers will be situated. The LOR controllers (4 of them) will have 100 amps dedicated power. Pretty sure I can run 4 15 amp controllers without any worry. Plus the controllers will plug into the receptacles without the need for any extension cords.

cmoore60 wrote:

If you use the jumpers, you MUST remove the input cord from the un-used input side. DO NOT USE the JUMPERS and the BOTH input cords.

Fortunately, it seems the designers at LOR have already thought of this. In the PC controllers, there is a single hot input connector for the left side of the board. Therefore, you must remove the left power cord (at least the hot) in order to connect the jumper from the "hot out" connector to the left side "hot input".

Don't forget to jumper the neutral as well. And, of course remove the left power cord entirely, including the neutral connector!

My first year I used both power cords and splitters before realizing that was silly since it's all plugged into the same extension cord anyway. Now when I build a new unit I install the jumpers and single power cord.

I have expressed before my elementary knowledge of electricity, but it occurs to me of course that using two AC leads will increase the maximum amps the controller can handle. 1 lead = 15 amps, even if jumpered, 2 leads = 30 amps. Correct??? My guess is that each side is fused at 15 amps max.

Since my individual circuits are 20 amps, I assume that I will only get 20 amps total with 2 leads. These will be dedicated circuits with no other loads. I have 4 controllers on a dedicated 100 amp circuit, and thats only 80 amps total being used under the most extreme circumstances. Hope I got this right in my mind.

You are correct. In order to get 15 amps per side, you need to feed with two separate 20 amp circuits.

It's a very good idea to calculate your total load. You may find that you are drawing much less than you think. Here is a cool calculator that actually uses your sequences to plot your power draw.

http://www.t2lights.com/christmas/lorutility.html

With careful planning and load balancing, you might be able to get each side of your controllers around 7/8/9 amps which would be perfect for a 20 amp circuit (keeping the 80%) rule in mind. Short bursts of extreme amperage (all on) will not be big issue as long as they are kept short and spaced far apart.