Light-O-Rama Forums

Building mini-trees

sjmiller

I'm currently building mini-trees for my 2009 display. I started with Orchard Supply Hardware 54" tomato cages. I use a cable tie to pull the top tines together. These cages have 4 rings going up, and 4 vertical rods (tines). If you wrap the lights - it's a square tree, ugly. I bought a roll of 20 guage bailing wire, and added a vertical run in between each of the tines - now the mini-tree lights are on a round shape not a square shape.

I'm using 2 channels and 400 mini-lights/mini-tree - looks very cool. If anyone wants how-to pix let me know and I'll post.

Steve

Another option to make them round is to stack 2 cages on each other. It works best if you cut the rings to allow the outer cage to expand a bit and the inner cage to contract a bit.

Another way is to cut the tomato cages (takes two or 3 ) and put the sections together so you have 6 vertical ribs going up, or you wrap chicken wire around the tomato age.

I ran lights between each section that had no vertical rib running up the side and used the light string as a rib plus it added lights.

I even saw tomato cages here that had 5 ribs running up the sides.

There is also the orange cone/chicken wire idea. You get yourself a 2 foot orange cone or 3 foot and you wrap chicken wire around the cone and zip tie the chicken wire closed, you then wrap lights around the cone /chicken wire and zip tie the lights to the chicken wire.

Now once all the lights on on you pull the cone out and there you have a mini tree.....but I am not sure how strong that mini tree would be.

I was looking for ways to get new parts of my 2009 display worked out in advance, and this seemed like an expedient way for getting mini-trees this year.

I can't use my metal working tools or welders right now, I have a major bathroom remodel underway and the garage is filled with stuff and it would be a fire hazard.

I'm going to redo my entire display for 2010 and will be fabricating new wireframe items using metal rod/tubing and my mig/tig/spot welders.

Steve