Light-O-Rama Forums

Arch

rmkrause

Hi Dick...

Typical 10' arches contain 7 or 8 segments, so extrapolating, for a 20' arch, I would expect 14-16 segments.

D.T.

Don't forget that a 20 foot arch means you have to store a......20 foot arch!!!! :D

They get quite heavy to support and move around when they're 20 feet long and loaded with lights...

I built mine as two 8 foot pieces that screw together in the middle because I glued PVC fittings on the pipe (one male, one female). I leave a bit of "loose lights" when winding them so that I can cover up the middle joint when assembling. Works like a charm with a nice graceful bend to the arch.....Each 8 foot section has 5 strings of lights, for a total of 10 strings or channels per arch...

Randy

I guess in my "newbie haste" I went way overboard on my 20 foot arch. I used 2 colors and 16 channels for each color! It certainly gives me a very smooth sweep on the arch, but 32 channels was a lot to use for it.

Certainly glad that I didn't go with my original idea of a 4 color arch !!! :shock: Although I think it would be pretty cool to do one just the same.

Bill

Randy wrote:

Don't forget that a 20 foot arch means you have to store a......20 foot arch!!!! :D

They get quite heavy to support and move around when they're 20 feet long and loaded with lights...

I built mine as two 8 foot pieces that screw together in the middle because I glued PVC fittings on the pipe (one male, one female). I leave a bit of "loose lights" when winding them so that I can cover up the middle joint when assembling. Works like a charm with a nice graceful bend to the arch.....Each 8 foot section has 5 strings of lights, for a total of 10 strings or channels per arch...

Randy

Ahh! But storage can be easier than you think.

I built a 46' (arch length) this past christmas. Storage was easy, becasue of how I built it. I used 5 10' peices of electrical conduit (didnt have to glue it together) and for the lights, I did not wrap them. I folded the light strings on themselves so I only attached a 5' length of light to the arch using zip ties. So for tear down I cut about 40 zip ties and just took the conduit apart!

here is my post

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum79/17854.html

I only used 9 segments, it looks good considering it took me 3 hours or something like that from start to finish.

I like to move it:

Techno Carol of the Bells:

Good luck!