Light-O-Rama Forums

How to fill an unused socket?

pdowns

I have some purchased C9 strings where I don't want to put a bulb in every socket. What do I do with the unused sockets? Is there a simple way to cover them up? Do I just use plastic electrical tape? Is there a better practice?

TIA

There is a thread, I believe on PC, about casting urethane plugs that can be screwed into the socket. For small numbers to plug, on short time lines, I've covered the contacts with hot glue, but it is far from ideal. Liquid electrical tape would also be an option for sealing the holes left from the vampire sockets.

You can also get C9 cord from other vendors like Action Lighting with the sockets on 12, 15, 18, and 24 inch spacings. If you are looking for larger, but even spacing, these would allow you to make strings that have larger spacing, without the flaws from removed sockets.

You can always put ‘dead’ bulbs in the unused sockets to plug them…or just unscrew ‘live’ bulbs a little so they don’t make contact.

If you are familiar with splicing wire you could cut out the unwanted sockets, strip the insulation from the ends and crimp the sections together with butt connectors.

It may be a bad thing but, I just leave mine empty and lay them on the ground I use 3 of them as extension cords between my soldiers. No Problems so far.
I did try and pry a bunch of them off and they really are molded down tightly. If you have only a few to remove then it's easy to remove them with a set of pliers but, be sure to wear goggles as plastic flies everywhere.
Then just remember to tape up the 2 holes in the wire afterwards.

If your not concerned about it just leave'em empty.
-Evan

Thanks to all for some great solutions. ("Just leave them empty" scares me, I actually had a friend die from a 110V shock in his kitchen.)

I think I'm going to either make custom strings or slightly unscrew good bulbs and also caulk them to keep the water out.

You might want to make sure the polarized plugs are correct all the way through. The threaded portion of the socket/lamp is supposed to be neutral, so that if someone, or something conductive comes in contact with a partly unscrewed bulb, they are only exposed to the relatively harmless neutral, not the hot.. Also, the best use of the caulk is just to keep the bulbs from unscrewing, or screwing back in. With a bulb screwed in normally, the sockets aren't sealed anyway.. They actually have drain holes on the back, in case they are placed socket down...

• 3 weeks later...

I would try to find rubber plugs, to use as corks. Here is pic of a McMaster Carr page, that has rubber plugs cheep.

Attached files 174648=9988-ScreenShot029.bmp