Light-O-Rama Forums

Transferring LOR to a new machine

Guest guest

I installed LOR on one of my computers last year with the online download button, but now I would like to transfer it to a faster machine.

Is this possible without buying the software again?

I have not had a disc crash, but if I did, would the installed LOR be lost?

If you have the original software available, it should be as straightforward as installing on the new machine, but if not... time to contact LOR about your situation.

Tom

tsmith35 wrote:

If you have the original software available, it should be as straightforward as installing on the new machine, but if not... time to contact LOR about your situation.

This serves as a good reminder to always save copies of downloaded installers-- preferably on CD's or other media away from your main hard drive. My main drive had a serious hardware crash last fall and was a total loss -- I found myself scrambling to several different companies trying to beg them to let them download the software again for free (they all let me, but it was a hassle to have to contact them all). Oddly enough I did have a copy of the LOR installer since it was installed on my show computer as well.

-Tim

I work on my LOR stuff with a memory stick (because I sequence at home and work).

BUT, I also have everything saved on a seperate home computer just in case the memory stick freaks out. There is toooooooo much time spent on my light show work to depend on one source to keep it in check.

My advise? Have everything for your light show saved to 2 different sources and update them when you have major changes.

It's just as bad if not worse than identity fraud :].

Tom

If you have a network and a shared drive at home, you can keep an archive copy of any file(s) synchronized with free/low cost software such as Synchromagic.

I do this with photos, ripped MP3s, purchased software installers, etc. I bought a pair of inexpensive 80 gig drives, put one into two different computers as an E: drive, and keep all valuable digital stuff synched up automatically via an every day scheduler. This is on top of the RAID 5 array on my primary video server, but I have more computers than most folks (8).

It only copies what has changed. If I were to lose an entire system, I'd still have my data.

Now to figure out how to create low cost automated backup of this data in case of a fire...

Moving Target in NC