Light-O-Rama Forums

remote computer

friskybri

[align=center]I travel every week and was wondering it anyone know how to change, add ect from the Internet to your show. I have 3pc' on a home network connected to the Internet. I want to have my show pc in the garage attached to the Internet so I can make changes or monitor the pc while in my hotel room. I am good at setting up home networks but never tried to access it from outside the network. I hope you know what I mean. i guess like having remote access to my show computer or is this a bad idea. [/align]

I would think that the easiest way would be to use a service like Gotomypc.com, but that could be a bit pricey if that is all you want to do with it.

You can also try setting up a port in your router for using a remote desktop approach. For this you would need to know the ip address of your router which could change. Dydns is the service that I used for this reason.

I have done something similar to this for accessing security cameras, but not for LOR.

Hope this helps get you going!

Steve

I think that might help. I want to beable to control the pc from my hotel room. see what is on the pc screen. change the show or stop the show ect.

If you want something with no additional charges, you can use software that comes with Microsoft windows...

Remote Desktop....On the home side, you need a PC running XP Pro. I'm not sure what the equivalent in the Vista product line is). You set it up on your home end, and you have to open up port 3389 on your router/firewall to be routed from the outside to that particular PC.

Then you build a RD icon on your remote PC, knowing the IP address of your home PC and the port number....It takes a little bit of set up, but works very well....Here's a Microsoft tutorial on how to get started....

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsXp/using/mobility/getstarted/Remoteintro.mspx

Randy

Mountainwxman wrote:

doublea wrote:
logmein.com

ditto!

I find this post funny because I choose to wear my log me in shirt today, I got the shirt free for being a beta tester a few years backk.

Love log me In, it just works.

Randy,
Got one question for you. Most of us use a ISP that assign us a dinamic IP address. That have a habit of changing from time to time. So, short of paying more for a static IP address, how would MS R.D. work?

Thanks

Max

Max-Paul wrote:

Randy,
Got one question for you. Most of us use a ISP that assign us a dinamic IP address. That have a habit of changing from time to time. So, short of paying more for a static IP address, how would MS R.D. work?

Thanks

Max

Noip.com is a free program that basically creates a free domain that forwards you to your dynamic ip.

Yes, I also use NoIP to maintain the same URL name even as my IP address changes. But, I will say....I've been leaving my PC on 7x24 for several months now and the IP address rarely if ever changes. So I frequently access my PC with the IP address in Remote Desktop, but I'm covered with NoIP.com...

For better performance, the remote PC client for Remote Desktop allows the user to check a box and ignore the photo on your home PC desktop so it doesn't keep having to be painted over and over on your remote PC....That is a nice timesaver....

Randy

Ok, have heard of thing like NoIP. But never have used such services.

Randy I dont think it really matters if your computer address changes or not. I am sure that your ISP changes the address to your interface. For example many people are now on DSL, but some are on some kind of modem from their cable service. I have DSL and my ISP provided me with a modem. The modem has Dynamic on the WAN side, so even my modem IP changes back to the ISP. Then it has NAT on my LAN side and Dynamic addresses to the individual computer.

So, I am familiar with what happens with IP addresses in the route between my computer and my ISP. I was just pointing out that MS R.D. is not the only thing one has to do to be able to access their computer from a remote location. Course if you want to pay the extra monthly charge. I am sure your ISP will be willing to assign you a static IP address.

I wont go the static IP address for the reason if someone learns how to hack into my computer. Then they know how to find my computer 24/7. NAT affords one some privacy.

And if NoIP is free (so they say) what are they getting out of offering this service. As I am sure you have heard that saying "there is no such thing as a free lunch". So, what are they getting?

Max

I use a VNC program from my laptop and remote desktop from work. to get around the isp dynmanic ip address i signed up for a ip updater program. here are the links to the programs I use tightvnc.com for the vnc program, and dyndns.com for the DNS ip address.

greg

No ip is free in hopes you will upgrade to a paid service. Their higher services give you a .com address and more features you will proibly never use.

Once every 2 months or so you have to click a link In an email no ip sends you, you have to confirm you still want the service.

As for dyndns.com last I knew this was a paid service.

I'm not really sure what is wrong with logmein.com for you. It's by far the easyist to setup and use.

Logmein.com really works good. I will sometimes use it to noodle the waste treatment system at work. The graphics are a little off, and with some hesitation. Though free is free is free. Free. I have been using logmein for about a year with no charges, yea free. :)

doublea wrote:

No ip is free in hopes you will upgrade to a paid service. Their higher services give you a .com address and more features you will proibly never use.

Once every 2 months or so you have to click a link In an email no ip sends you, you have to confirm you still want the service.

As for dyndns.com last I knew this was a paid service.

I'm not really sure what is wrong with logmein.com for you. It's by far the easyist to setup and use.

Doublea.

dyndns gives you 5 free ip hop address's. I've never had to pay anything and have been using them for 3 years now. I do believe you have to log into their website at least once a year to keep the free service.

Also been using dyndns for years, and that is correct, you need to click on your account every few months, and is free.

I also have used dyndns for a few years for free for my remote access IP address needs. Every few months or so, I get an email that reminds me that I need to revalidate the address -- but that is just clicking on a link in an email that gets sent to me. Once I do that, I'm good to go.

• 3 weeks later...

I use DynDNS for many years now and it works GREAT... a lot of Name brand routers even auto-update DynDNS if the router is rebooted by accident or power fail...

the router i run is Linux based so I can even send Wake-On-LAN messages and turn PC's on in my network then turn them off when im done..

I find VNC works better than remote desktop for a system running a show... I found remote desktop interfered with the show timing sometimes.. where the audio and lights would get out of whack... also in remote desktop you need to make sure you do NOT map the sound or it will crash the show...

-Christopher