Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR hardware

Guest guest

You may wonder why I'm asking this. I currently have it connected to some lights on a wall in a room. When I sequence, for the most part, I'm going to with the lights so I can get a little better visual of what's going on. I already found out that shimmer and twinkle is a little different then I thought and made some changes. I was wondering if it is alright to keep the box on the floor, carpeted, or if it will get hot if I keep it there. I am only going to have it on when I sequence and want to watch what I did, which will be my guess most of the time. I just don't want to start a fire if there is any chance of that.

If I can't put it on the floor, where can I put it that's safe? I had it leaning up against the side of my computer desk, but I read that it said you should never do that for some reason. I don't understand why, but I thought I read it in the manual that said do not put it so that the wires are up.

Thanks again for the help. I feel more like a LOR person now that I have my first controller! :laughing:

Good questions...

I would not keep the boards flat on the carpet. The boards do put off heat. The heat sinks are used to help pull the heat away from the boards. When we mount them in boxes, we use stand-offs so that the aire can flow behind the boards to help remove the heat.

As for standing the boards up. I have never heard of that. If you stand a board up outside in its enclosure, make sure the cords enter from the bottom, this prevents water from running down the cords onto the board. If you have no other option with the cords coming in from the top, make sure you put a dip lope in the cords to prevent water running down the cord to the board. Hopefully this makes sense.

Scott

Like Scott said they do create a little heat, How many channels do you have? I had 8 and all I ever got was luke warm! Durring a show when it is on for all night, yes, heat might build up. If you are inside, sequencing for a few hours then turring everything off you should be OK. Also adding tto what Scott said, Water is VERRY BAD! all holes need to be down or covered!

--Daniel L

musicman wrote:

I am only going to have it on when I sequence and want to watch what I did, which will be my guess most of the time.

Are you using the animation screen to view your work when sequencing? It would be much easier than hooking up lights every time you sequence something (in my mind anyways).

Just my thoughts,

Tom

I have the lights nailed up already and that is where I am keeping the box, so it is just as easy to use the lights right now. Once the season starts I'll have to make sure I'm using the animation screen to make any changes/start on next years aditioins.

I am a very visual learner and I've already caught a couple things being off what I wanted them to do when I hooked the lights up. so it's actually a little easier, believe it or not, for me to see what's going on with lights hooked up. anyways, they are just "window decorations" that I nailed to the wall and 3 of the preasants that are on my L, in front of me and on my R that are on channels that correspond to the rest of the lights.

In other words on my L upper is channel 1, then you go down to 2, up to the next row for 3, down for 4, preasant 5, etc... that way as I watch it the numbers go L to R so I can see if I missed a channel.

Yes, I have a plan in my head of what it is going to look like outside, I just keep that in mind as I'm creating.

I hope all this makes sense and everyone doesn't think I'm nuts.

well I am nuts..... I'm nuts for christmas lights and LOR!

It will not hot.

You did see something in the manual where it said not mount it with the wires up. That is because if you do, the water will get into it when it rains! Believe it or not, you do have to say things like that because people will mount it upside down (even when it says not to in the manual)....

It is ok to have it upside down in your house where it is not going to get wet.

Sue a manufacturer like the woman that sued Winnebago after her RV crashed when she left the drivers seat. The vehicle was on cruise control so she got up and went to the back to fix a cup of coffee.

Since the manufacturer did not "explain", it cost them $$$.

Lawyers give out "Stella" awards for the most outrageous lawsuit. Stella was the woman that burned herself on McDonald's coffee.

Dan - I promise you, I will N E V E R sue you!